If you enjoy tinkering with mechanical, electronic, and digital components we may have the career for you! Better yet, the work you do will bring curiosity and learning alive to help people of all ages appreciate and explore the wonders of math. MoMath is seeking two talented jacks-of-all-trades to join our team at our New York City Museum. To help keep the Museum’s exhibits healthy and engaging for our visitors, the ideal candidate will have hands-on experience in basic fabrication (carpentry, plastic, metal), mechanical systems, electronic troubleshooting, mechanical fabrication, installation, maintenance, and repair. No prior experience working specifically in a museum is needed!
These are on-site opportunities and can be part-time or full-time positions. For these two openings, we are looking for one team member with a more advanced skill set and one who is entry-level, willing to roll up their sleeves and learn the ropes.
What you’ll do
As an Exhibit Technician, you’ll be the person that keeps the heart and soul of our museum working to ensure visitors can interact with our exhibits to further spark their curiosity. There’s a wide range of skills you’ll utilize daily to support the production of exhibits including the design, construction, installation, maintenance, and acquisition of all temporary, traveling, and permanent exhibits. No two days will be alike, but you could expect to do the following routine tasks and special responsibilities:
- Monitor exhibits daily and collaborates with team members of all departments to ensure routine needs and unexpected problems are addressed in a timely manner
- Perform routine maintenance and repairs to keep the exhibits running smoothly
- Troubleshoot mechanical and electrical problems in the Museum’s exhibits and facility
- Creatively approach recurring issues to continually improve exhibits functionality
- Source materials and equipment
- Communicate and work with outside contractors and vendors as needed
- Transport, set up, and strike the Museum’s traveling exhibits to and from local schools and math and science festivals and events (as much as once a week during fall and winter semesters, more on occasion)
- Fabricate and construct exhibit prototypes to support the Museum’s exhibit development process
- Support the Museum’s changing exhibit program, including but not limited to: Prepping changing exhibits gallery, creating custom mounting systems, construction/installation of temporary partitions, installation of artwork or artifacts, and fabrication of new interactive experiences
What you need to thrive in this role
- HS diploma or equivalent
- Basic experience troubleshooting mechanical and electrical issues
- Experience fabricating, building, repairing, refinishing, working with power tools, and being generally handy
- Familiarity with Arduino is a plus
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required
- Ability to lift 50 pounds required
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Bonus points if you have experience building and/or maintaining custom-designed objects or environments (museum exhibits, scenery, props for theater or television, musical instruments, model making, computer equipment, etc.)
The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math. You can learn more about MoMath at www.momath.org.
Some of the perks we offer include:
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Life insurance
- Retirement plan with employer match
- Paid time off and holidays
- Family and friends Museum passes
I’m interested, how do I get started?
Apply to: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oAVXjfwv&s=myHRpartner
Is this the job for you? If not, feel free to share this link with someone who might be interested.
Our hiring management partner is myHR Partner. myHR Partner is not a staffing service or recruiter. All resumes/applications will be reviewed for this position and only for our organization.
Thank you for considering us as a potential employer!
At MoMath, we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to that by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
COVID Guidelines: The National Museum of Mathematics requires employees to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation.