Reporting to the Vice President Legal, work as a member of the Legal team to oversee and advise on all legal aspects of the business, taking into consideration the need to balance the objectives of Moneris as a whole.
You will be accountable for
- Giving accurate and timely counsel to executives and other clients on a variety of legal topics including technology and intellectual property questions, corporate and commercial law, privacy, employment and other issues
- Negotiation, drafting and interpretation of day to day commercial agreements with Moneris clients, customers, partners and vendors
- Management of actual or threatened litigation and guiding dispute resolution
- Handling of issues and escalations related to customers and partners including bankruptcies
- Proactively identifying, analyzing and responding to legislative developments affecting Moneris
- Assisting on corporate acquisitions/dispositions and legal due diligence
- Creating and maintaining precedent agreements and participating in/leading knowledge management initiatives to improve overall efficiency of the Legal team and evolving best in class legal services to clients
- Managing external counsel to ensure high performance and control costs
Your experience includes
- Law Degree and current membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- 3-5 years of corporate law experience, ideally a blend of full service law firm and in-house business acumen (payment industry experience considered an asset)
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication skills and networking abilities with internal and external contacts with fluency in English (reading, writing, and verbal)
- French language proficiency an asset
- Ability to work effectively as a member of multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated strategic thinking with ability to probe, constructively manage difficult conversations and effectively address and resolve issues
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple deals/files in a dynamic environment
Note: We welcome and encourage applications from indigenous people, people of colour, people with disabilities, people of all genders, sexual orientation and intersectional identities.