System Administrator / Engineer
*This position is based in Portland, OR. US work authorization is required.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The Information Technology team coordinates, facilitates, and supports the agency’s use of technology and telecommunications to improve organizational agility and to achieve agency goals. The IT staff provides planning support and technical assistance to new and existing Mercy Corps country programs. The staff also works to strengthen the agency’s abilities to use Internet-based information services, including its abilities to model and transfer these services to local partners.
General Position Summary
The System Administrator / Engineer participates in all phases of infrastructure setup, administration and support of Linux and Windows servers. They improve the availability, supportability, and security of servers, networks, and applications. They contribute in developing and administering a cloud presence in Azure / AWS. This position will have a significant role in the formation and implementation of a global information security program based on the Center For Internet Security (CIS) controls and protocols.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Work independently to manage Linux and Windows servers using automated tools for provisioning, configuration management, patch management, and virtualization management.
- Provide back-up support for administering and maintaining network equipment, including firewalls, routers, and switches.
- Provide backup support for Virtual environments including computer storage and networking.
- Ensure secure operation of all servers and services through the use of security and encryption tools such as SSH and SSL.
- Develop and implement Information Security policies and protocols based on CIS controls.
- Determine security violations and inefficiencies by conducting periodic audits.
- Implement security improvements by assessing current situations, evaluating trends, and anticipating requirements.
- Develop, implement and administer cloud migration infrastructure in AWS / Azure: IaaS, SaaS, PaaS.
- Monitor system logs and activity on all servers.
- Document and log all changes to system software and configurations.
- Identify, maintain, and use software tools for network operations and management as necessary.
- Provide technical support for source code control system and issue tracking system.
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTNERS
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically
to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging participant communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To: Manager, Global Infrastructure and Support
- Works Directly With: IT management and staff & others as needed
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years experience with Linux server administration
- 5+ years experience with Windows server administration (AD, DNS, Group Policy)
- 2+ years experience with virtualization infrastructure, preferably VMware
- 2+ years experience with version control system, preferably Git
- 2+ years experience with network and wireless administration, preferably Cisco Meraki
- Must have strong understanding of network security, threat protection and prevention
- Must have strong understanding of cloud computing architecture
- Knowledge in one or more scripting languages strongly desired
The Systems Administrator Engineer will be able to work independently and collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams. They will be an effective verbal and written communicator, and have the ability to prioritize and manage work according to critical project timelines. They will be highly organized, detail oriented, and able to put big ideas into a tangible form. They will have strong technical and analytical skills, and be able to develop new approaches to complex integration and interfacing problems. A sense of humor is greatly appreciated.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position will be based in Portland, OR. Travel will be limited.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/short term assignment to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.