Consultant - User Interface - Portland HQ or Remote
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
MicroMentor is an initiative of Mercy Corps’ Innovations Team. At MicroMentor, our mission is to leverage the power of mentoring to help small businesses thrive. We do so by offering entrepreneurs direct access to a pool of committed professional volunteer mentors via an easy-to-use online community. MicroMentor has an expanding community making 10,000 mentoring connections every year. Entrepreneurs matched with a mentor have shown significant results in terms of improved job creation, business survival, and revenue growth. Our team is diverse, driven, hardworking and highly committed to the mission of helping small businesses thrive through mentoring, and about Mercy Corps’ mission to support our worldwide team that’s improving the lives of 19 million people in 40+ countries.
MicroMentor is a growing program within Mercy Corps and functions much like a technology start-up. Through a proprietary online mentoring platform, MicroMentor provides a technology solution that connects small business owners and entrepreneurs with skilled volunteer business mentors on a global scale. In addition to managing the general community of users, MicroMentor provides a niche product offering to corporations, international NGOs and government entities as a program-implementing partner.
Purpose / Project Description:
Micromentor is seeking a UI Designer Consultant to collaborate on the redesign of our existing mobile and desktop app interfaces. The primary purpose of this project is to develop a new design system based on a brand refresh and work with the UX designer on high-fidelity wireframes and prototypes. We are currently developing the new Micromentor app (3.0 version of our platform) for iOS, Android, and Desktop using the Flutter framework.
The primary objectives for the UI Designer Consultant are as follows:
- Accessible Redesign: Work with UX designer to refine app redesign wireframes.
- Design System: Create a unified, cohesive set of UX and visual guidelines for MicroMentor’s product.
- Cross-Platform Consistency: Work with UX designer to ensure the interface design works effectively across iOS, Android, and desktop platforms.
- Enhanced Usability: Improve the overall usability of the app by optimizing navigation, layout, and user interactions.
- High-Fidelity Prototypes: Develop high-fidelity design prototypes and mockups that can be readily implemented by our development team.
- Feedback Incorporation: Collaborate with our development and UX team to incorporate user feedback and iterate on the design as needed.
Consultant Activities / Deliverables:
Receipt and MicroMentor acceptance of:
- High fidelity wireframes: Re-design of existing 3.0 wireframes in high-fidelity format, showcasing the proposed redesign.
- Design System: Develop comprehensive design system for MicroMentor’s new app.
- Interactive Prototypes: Build interactive design prototypes to demonstrate user flows and interactions within the app.
- Design Assets: Provide design assets (e.g., icons, graphics, UI elements) in formats compatible with Flutter development.
Timeframe / Schedule:
One time project, to start immediately.
Duration of project: 2 months.
Estimated hours: 10 hours per week.
The Consultant will report to:
Director, Technology, MicroMentor
The Consultant will work closely with:
MicroMentor Technology Team
Required Experience & Skills:
The UI Designer Consultant should possess the following experience and skills:
- 5-10 years of professional experience in a technically relevant field
- Proven experience in designing user interfaces for mobile apps and desktop applications, with a focus on user-centered design principles.
- Experience working on design systems
- Experience in integrating brand elements into user interface design to maintain consistency with branding guidelines.
- Proficiency in design and prototyping in Figma.
- A portfolio showcasing previous UI design work, particularly in app design and design systems.
- Effective communication skills to collaborate with the development team and present design concepts.
- Ability to adapt to project requirements, timelines, and changes in direction.
In addition to your CV, please submit a brief cover letter which includes a list of relevant projects/experience, expected fees/daily rate, and availability.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.