Senior Administrative Assistant - People Team
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The People, Strategy and Learning team ensures that Mercy Corps has the people, strategies and learning that will enable it to be world-class, cutting edge, humanitarian organization, creating transformation change in the world. We do this through: the recruitment, retention and development of the best global talent. Our aim is to drive strategic thinking and planning at all levels of the organization; create a robust body of research to guide us internally and externally and steward the organizational culture. To achieve this, we align conversation on learning; keep the organization focused on what has the greatest impact; leverage our comparative advantages in the crowded and competitive international relief and development landscape; and assure we are constantly learning from our work and the external environment.
General Position Summary
The Senior Administrative Assistant to Mercy Corps’ Vice President of People manages a complex and demanding set of responsibilities. S/he will be responsible for providing administrative support, facilitating coordination of multiple efforts related to the activities of the VP of People, department leaders and Global Human Resources on an ongoing and as needed basis, responding promptly and efficiently to varied work assignments.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Administrative Support to Vice President of People
- Support the VP of People with calendar management and scheduling of appointments, calls and recurring meetings
- Support the VP of People with maintenance and coordination of their email account and other correspondence
- Research, develop and distribute pertinent background materials and reports for events and committee meetings
- Manage ongoing and periodic reporting and projects on behalf of various People, Strategy and Learning teams; including scheduling, data and draft coordination, collating elements, and editing into final draft reports to ensure timely and accurate reporting
- Support People team work plan and priorities by maintaining the schedule for ongoing meetings, minutes for these meetings and tracking action items
- Assist with department budgeting and budget tracking
- Assist with collating information for, drafting and editing of department communications both to internal team and to agency
- Support People team members with purchase requests, contracts, letters as needed
- Assist in orientation of new People team members
- Assist with coordination of events
- Arrange travel including international flights, visas, ground transportation and hotel logistics
- Other duties as assigned
Investigation Support and case management (INTERIM)
- Lead on investigations tracking and case management
- Lead on/Support Assigning investigations, tracking progress, following or creating new procedures for compiling investigative documents
- Partner with other MC teams; e.g. Legal, throughout investigation and reporting process.
- Assist HR and investigations officers in writing investigation findings and final reports
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To: Vice President of People
- Works Directly With: HR officers, HR team members, People Team members.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in a related field preferred.
- 3 plus years administrative support experience in a professional office setting.
- Excellent writing skills including proofreading and editing proficiency as well as minute keeping.
- Excellent communication and the ability to handle confidential matters appropriately.
- Experience with budgeting
- Strong computer literacy required including MS Office and Google Suite.
- Project management experience preferred
- Well organized and flexible/adaptable to changing priorities.
- Experience with coordination and management of travel schedules, meeting and report compilation.
- Proven experience maintaining a high level of confidentiality and professional conduct with integrity.
- Highly effective and professional verbal communication.
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple competing requests, tasks, deadlines, and needs.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- International, non-profit, and government experience and/or interest are preferred.
The successful individual will demonstrate a healthy combination of professionalism and confidence in providing efficient support to Mercy Corps’ Vice President of People. S/he will demonstrate discretion and maintain confidentiality. S/he will possess a high level of excellent communication skills, both verbal and written and will place a high level of priority on attention to detail and organization. S/he will be extremely flexible and possess the ability to multitask. The successful Sr. Administrative Assistant will be able to work both independently and cooperatively, and will effectively and accurately represent Mercy Corps at all times. S/he must demonstrate flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving, will have proven ability to learn quickly, take initiative, and be accountable for results in a fast-paced, fluid and challenging work environment of many competing and changing priorities. An entrepreneurial spirit that is both creative and flexible is important. S/he will often be the frontline communication with sources of influence and will handle this calmly and with a positive, informed, and personable manner.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Portland and may require occasional travel.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.