Consultant - Program Engagements - Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Mercy Corps’ AgriFin Digital Farmer (ADF II) program will work to reach five million smallholder farmers across Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Nigeria - 40% of whom are women - living on less than $2.00 per day, who will utilize DFS and/or DIS as a result of this project. In partnership with Bill and Melinda Gates and Bayer Foundations, ADF 2 seeks to support the expansion of digitally enabled services to 5 million smallholder farmers, delivered by growing ecosystems of diverse service providers and building farmer income, productivity and resilience across by 50% while reaching 40% women. ADF II will continue to target farmers who work across a wide variety of crop, livestock and fish value chains, most of whom have diversified production systems growing multiple crops for both home consumption and sale. The program is expected to have positive impacts for farmers and direct partners providing services to farmers and ecosystem actors adopting learnings from program activities. Results and learning from this body of work can be found on the www.mercycorpsagrifin.org website.
Purpose / Project Description:
AgriFin Digital Farmer I has been operating in Nigeria for over two years. Partners are at various stages of product development for Digital Financial Services (DFS) and Digital Information services (DIS) to smallholder farmers, with an on-the-ground person supporting the Agrifin team based in Nairobi, Kenya, in the engagement and follow-up of partners in-country under ADF II. The consultant will be required to advance Nigeria based partnership relationships, while supporting the Nairobi based technical team in successful implementation and evaluation of ADF engagements. This will include designing engagements, developing new/existing partnerships and facilitating product development initiatives that meet the strategic needs of our core partners.
The consultant will engage with the AgriFin team across the following key activities:
- Support strong partner relationships, project plans and product roadmaps.
- Assist and in some cases lead the development of partner business and work plans, reviewing research, marketing plans, business processes, operational manuals, product and technology specifications, and financial statements to do so.
- Perform tasks based on project plans, those agreed with ADF II management, and those assigned by program management.
- Monitor project progress, with regular oversight of technical consultants or third-party providers, report and resolve, or assist in resolving issues, under direction of ADF II management
- Prepare project progress reports and status updates.
- Conduct due diligence on prospective partners, compile required legal documents and share reports on the same.
- Keep up to date with the Nigerian agri/fintech ecosystems and participate ongoing learning meetings with program stakeholders related to program focus areas, working in coordination with technical team managers.
- Assist the program in identifying technical consultants as needed, in preparing terms of reference and scopes of work, and provide support and oversight for consultants as required.
- Contribute to the ADF II learning agenda and track partner impact metrics as and when required.
The consultant will work to produce the following deliverables, in close collaboration with the AgriFin Digital Banking lead:
- Partner Prospecting and Project Development: Continue to support partner identification efforts and project development including participating in due diligence exercises, populating partner proposals and participation in pipeline update meetings. A monthly report accounting for activities done and time sheet. Prospective partners include MTN Nigeria, prospective Takaful insurance partners like Acre Africa, Mercy Corps Nigeria Sprout support and Farm to Feed.
- Project implementation and partner relationship management: Support implementation of identified projects including kick off meetings, internal update meetings and regular updates with the partner and vendors to ensure project success. A monthly report accounting for activities outlined and time sheet. This is for all approved projects including Social Lender and upcoming projects for upcoming partners including EProd, AgroMall and CoAmana
- Project and program learning and reporting: Support when required, end of project and program reporting including documenting lessons learnt and achievements of projects under the advisory of the consultant, support program learning initiatives both internal and external where scheduled. A monthly report specifying support provided to project and program reporting and timesheet. This will also include support for research activities under the ongoing initiative funded by the Gates Foundation and collaboration with development organizations including CGAP.
Timeframe / Schedule:
The Timeframe will be between August 1, 2022 to October 31 2022
Payments will be made based on days capped at worked with a maximum number of 40 days within the period of August 1, 2022 to October 31 2022
The Consultant will report to:
Task Manager: Senior Digital Banking
Final sign-off on deliverables and invoices: Program Director
The Consultant will work closely with:
The Agrifin technical team
Required Experience & Skills:
The individual consultant must demonstrate significant experience and expertise in:
- 5-10 years of experience in a related technical field;
- Deep experience with implementation of AgriFin climate programming in learning, processes and partner engagements;
- Deep understanding of the Nigeria Agricultural ecosystem;
- Deep experience with resource development in agriculture;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a mentor/advisor capacity across multidisciplinary and multicultural teams to build capacity around application of bundled digital services to promote improved livelihoods of smallholder farmers in Nigeria;
- Demonstrated ability to develop high quality written strategy, synthesis and recommendations on the related subjects;
- Minimum educational qualification is a master’s degree in a related subject.
Required Application documents:
- Resume and cover letter including the Daily rate quotation in USD
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.