Digital Analyst - Resource Development Operations
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.The Program / Department / Team
The mission of the Resource Development (RD) department is to advance the organization’s strategic goals and support our worldwide team by raising flexible funds, profile and influence. The RD team encompasses several dozen dynamic professionals who possess a wide range of skills. We are gift officers, direct response fundraisers, web developers, marketers, data engineers, data visualizers, and media relations strategists. We are database managers, digital specialists, creative designers, storytellers and teachers. Most of all, we are passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and believe a better world is possible.
The Digital Analyst’s primary responsibility is the management and reporting of data to provide insights into website / digital property usage and campaign performance for stakeholders, including but not
limited to Mass Market Fundraising, Digital Marketing and Brand Marketing.
The Digital Analyst leads the integration and analysis of digital data from multiple sources to identify trends and new opportunities while answering key business questions about audience behavior and
needs. Crafting new questions that deepen and drive forward the analysis and understanding of our fundraising programs will be a key success factor. The goal of the position is to increase Mercy Corps’ donor base and conversion rates through improved experiences on digital properties by advocating for the user experience. This involves building out and sharing reports and analysis to internal audiences, creating unified data definitions, standardizing sources, and integrating digital data into other reporting
platforms like the Resource Development Data Warehouse.
The Digital Analyst works with stakeholders throughout the strategy development process for campaigns and evergreen online efforts, establishing definitions of key metrics, building common understanding of KPIs and reporting on results.
Reporting will include generating dashboards, workbooks, presenting information to stakeholders and building documentation. Experience and ease translating jargon to groups with varying levels of digital sophistication is critical to the success of this role.
- Find the story in the metrics; create and communicate quantitative and qualitative findings by analyzing data from multiple sources.
- Create regular analytics findings and actionable recommendations using data from Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Google Tag Manager, Power BI, VWO, ActionKit, Raiser’s Edge and more.
- Work with stakeholders to develop agreed-upon data definitions, KPIs and metrics for campaigns and other online efforts.
- Analyze website activity and provide actionable recommendations around improving site experiences and conversion funnels.
- Derive insights from A/B and multivariate testing to help support site experience improvements in partnership with the Digital Fundraising and Digital Marketing teams. Work in partnership with external agency teams as they support digital testing efforts.
- Serve as an analytics coach across the organization helping others to understand how to use data to inform their work
- Identify additional business questions that new reporting should answer while collaborating to source data to meet requirements.
- Work with internal team members and external vendor partners to refine and build on current analytics; integrating Google Analytics with other online data for example.
- Maintain / further develop existing dashboards and build new ones.
- Work with technical partners to automate data flows and reduce reliance on manual data work.
- Other duties as required.
Reports Directly To: Business Intelligence Developer
Works Directly With: Digital Fundraising, Digital Marketing, Brand Marketing, Development Operations, other stakeholders across the organization as needed
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
We will consider any combination of relevant work experience, volunteering, education, and transferable skills as qualifying unless an item or section is labeled required.
- Google Analytics skills required including Data Studio & Google Tag Manager.
- Current Google Analytics Individual Qualification (IQ) strongly preferred or ability to obtain it within the first year.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Google Analytics API from both an implementation and reporting perspective.
- At least three years’ experience working in a Digital Marketing environment, with a strong understanding of Digital analytics required end-to-end — from implementation, to validation and quality assurance, to providing reporting and actionable insights.
- At least one year of experience formally presenting analytics to diverse stakeholders with varying levels of digital expertise required.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and data analysis skills (including basic understanding of statistics) required.
- Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Word and PowerPoint to create reports and presentations for multiple audiences.
- Basic HTML and CSS knowledge required.
- Experience working with third-party digital traffic platforms & website optimization tools such as VWO, Optimize, or Optimizely for A/B and multivariate testing is helpful.
"Please submit a cover letter that clearly shows how your experience meets the minimum qualifications and prepares you to perform the key responsibilities of this role; be clear and specific about how your background is relevant."
We are looking for someone with an inherent curiosity, a knack for asking insightful questions, and a passion for solving complex problems using analytical thinking and an understanding of the organization’s mission and business goals. This person reports valid data and meaningful insights regarding Mercy Corps’ external websites. S/he shows strong proficiency in data analysis and related tools. They demonstrate excellent verbal and written communications skills, attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and ability to work both independently and cooperatively with team members. S/he is always learning about new developments in the field and communicates emerging trends to the team.Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Portland, Oregon or remote will also be considered.Ongoing Learning
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and developmentDiversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.