Consultant - Capacity Building Training on MEL Reports - Iraq
Locations: Ninewa Governorate: Mosul, Sinjar, and Tel Kaif Districts, Training to be provided virtually
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. As an international NGO, Mercy Corps is required to prepare and share a range of written documents, in English. These documents can be for communicating Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning activities, baseline and end line reports, MEL and Accountability Portions of Proposals, monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning portions of donor reports, case studies, and internal communications. In general, the staff themselves recognize the need to improve their writing and communication skills.
The areas for improvement for English writing which have been highlighted by team members include: a) ensuring logical flow to the writing; b) summarizing complex and multifaceted content; c) including factual and relevant information, and specify which components of the analysis ought to be unpacked in narrative form and which can be more simply presented via charts and tables; d) referencing supporting documents in communications, e.g. previous MEL reports, findings from previous projects, baseline information, evaluations, e) communicating the learning from projects in a way that highlights impact and opportunities for improvement so that teams may identify new ways forward.
The aim of the consultancy is to take the participants through document review and writing exercises and to give feedback both in plenary and individually on the exercises. Participants should be able to identify common mistakes, and the areas they need to improve on to bring their written communication skills up to a higher standard.
Purpose / Project Description:
The purpose of this assignment is to support the Mercy Corps team in the country to contribute to strengthening the local staff and partners and increasing their capacity on Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning reports for external audiences; programs team, donor reporting, external communications, and reports to be more institutionalized and attract funding. The consultant will be tasked to provide interactive training courses to enhance and strengthening the capacities of both Mercy Corps staff and partners as follows:
- Conduct 1 virtual training session for a maximum of 30 Participants from Mercy Corps and partner staff.
- Familiarize participants with key concepts and practical framework of writing Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning reports
- Equip trainees with the required tools to be familiar and skillful when writing Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning reports
- Document and share observations regarding weaknesses and issues that need further development as well as recommendations for Mercy Corps to work on future.
By the end of the training the participants should able to:
- Prepare documents that are logical, sequential.
- Understand the value of keeping daily records of project and MEL activities so that report writing will be based on captured information.
- Demonstrate their improved writing skills
The training should be delivered in Arabic, to ensure Mercy Corps staff and partners can fully engage; but all training materials must be in both languages English and Arabic. The training will target both Mercy Corps staff and partners based on the discussions outcomes.
There will be flexibility from both Mercy Corps and the consultant on any changes that might occur. The training session will consist of 25-30 participants and will be for 5 days. The training will be held virtually.
The Consultant will:
Prior to being selected, the consultants will prepare a workshop agenda and give a short presentation of how the training will be conducted.
- Develop a training proposal and submit it for discussion with Mercy Corps PAQ Team
- Develop the training manual and all other related materials and submit them to Mercy Corps PAQ Team for review and approval.
- Design the pre-test to be sent to participants a week before the training
- Analyze the pre-test and modify the training literature accordingly
- Discuss and agree with Mercy Corps PAQ Team on the division of participants in the number of training sessions
- Conduct the training sessions
- Submit final reports including the individual report on each training session and a consolidated report with recommendations
Timeframe / Schedule:
The consultants will produce the following specific deliverables after signing the contract and will provide regular briefings to Mercy Corps PAQ Team.
After the training/workshop, the consultant will prepare and submit a written report on the training, stating to what degree the training objectives have been met, and what are the areas for, and ways of, making further improvements. A total of 14 days (April 1, 2021 – April 30, 2021) is required for this consultancy;
- 5 days - Training Manual by External consultant
- 1 day - Pre-test / MCIQ Review of the training materials by External consultant PAQ Team
- 1 day - Analyze the pre-testMCIQ / MCIQ Review of the training materials by External consultant PAQ Team
- 1 day - Modify the training literature/materials by an External consultant
- 5 days - Conduct the training sessions / Conduct Post-Test by External consultant
- 1 day - Submit a final report by an External consultant
The Consultant will report to: Mercy Corps‘ MEL Manager/Deputy MEL Manager (Iraq)
The Consultant will work closely with: MEL Manager, Deputy MEL Manager, and Program Performance and Quality Director (Iraq)
Required Experience & Skills:
We are looking for a consultant/consultancy firm with experience in working with local partners and experience in capacity building.
The consultant should have:
- 5-10 years of experience in relevant technical field (required)
- Advanced knowledge and experience in writing Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning reports
- Proven record of conducting training and capacity-building workshop sessions.
- Good experience and knowledge on donors’ requirements in humanitarian and development settings
- Good communication skills (in writing and verbally)
- Advanced facilitation and training skills
- Knowledge of English and Arabic language
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.