Consultant - Carbon Accounting: Data & Analytics - Remote
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now and for the future.
Purpose / Project Description:
As part of our operational greening objectives, Mercy Corps is looking to conduct annual public reporting on our global carbon footprint. To begin this process an adequate tracking procedure using our existing accounting and financing systems needs to be established for offices across 40 countries.
Mercy Corps is looking for a data and analytics carbon emission consultant to work alongside our finance, travel, procurement and operations teams to explore how to draw data from our existing accounting and financing systems that can be used to track our operational carbon emissions (scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions). The consultant will also be required to design new ways of tracking emissions where systems do not already exist i.e. emissions from international travel not booked though our main travel provider.
- Finalize a framework for tracking global emissions and associated data
- Design a light-touch centralized global emissions tracking system drawing on existing data management systems. The system needs to be compatible with the reporting systems in use in countries of operations and across the Headquarters (HQs) in the USA and Europe.
- Develop guidelines for all country teams and test the centralised tracking system with a select group of offices.
- Propose a reporting template across scope 1, 2 and 3 emission sources.
The Consultant will:
- Review and finalize major emissions sources to be covered by the tracking process
- Get familiar with our existing centralized data systems (countries of operations, USA and Europe HQs)
- Map out existing sources of information and key gaps and weaknesses based on baseline process from 2019
- Convene a small consultation group representing USA and European HQs in control of priority information sources (including global finance, travel, facilities) to understand current status and explore options for restructuring the current coding system, filling gaps or weaknesses
- Work with relevant HQ teams to develop any specific solutions identified as viable and suitable
- Design a centralized tracking system to be piloted with select group of offices
- Conduct an initial analysis of the data gathered and set a reporting framework to display this
- Develop a clear set of guidelines for in-country finance and/or operations managers to support necessary information collection
The Consultant will:
- Deliver a framework or overview with which emission sources will be tracked and establish a clear method for tracking each of them
- Document feedback from consultation group and next steps for addressing any gaps or weaknesses
- Develop a centralized tracking system to be used across all offices
- Test the methodology through a small group of pilot countries and analyse and share the findings
- Produce a clear set of guidelines for those inputting data for the tracking system
- Host a final consultation with department leaders to summarize work and give recommendations
Timeframe / Schedule:
The Consultant will commit to an estimated 30-35 working days, starting in August 2020. The final work plan and level of effort for each step will be agreed with the Consultant at the start of the assignment, along with interim milestones.
The Consultant will report to:
Senior Director, Technical Support Unit
The Consultant will work closely with:
Operations managers, international finance department, travel and facilities. Support will also be provided by the Assistant Programs Officer for Climate and Energy as well as the Senior Advisor for partnerships in Energy Access.
Required Experience & Skills:
- 5 years of experience minimum in related field
- Demonstrated experience in carbon accounting or sustainability initiatives, with specific experience with knowledge of carbon inventory frameworks
- Experience working with or in a large international organization
- Knowledge of accounting and financing systems such as Navigator and SUN.
- Ability to manage the data monitoring process (including entry, support and analysis of the data)
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent communication and interpersonal skills to slot quickly into new teams and work with a range of colleagues
- Fluency in English is mandatory, fluency in French would be beneficial
In your submission please include:
- Letter of interest outlining how you would approach this work
- Proof of previous relatable experience
Mercy Corps Diversity Statement
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.