HR Advisor - Short Term - Syria ( Based in Amman with Travel )
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps works in places of transition, where conflict, disaster, political upheaval, or economic collapse present opportunities to build more secure, productive, and just communities. Providing emergency relief in times of crisis, we move quickly to help communities recover and build resilience to future shocks, and promote sustainable change by supporting community-led and market-driven initiatives.
General Position Summary
The HR Advisor will provide additional capacity to the HR team, working under close direction of the HR Director, yet collaborating with HR leads and the HR team across all MC Syria offices.
The position will focus on leading, and keeping on track, the HR work plan for several key deliverables as well as developing policies and revising and improving processes. The HR Advisor will also develop training materials and sensitize managers and team members on HR policies and processes, providing capacity development around key areas.
Essential Job Responsibilities
POLICY AND PROCESS DEVELOPMENT
Working under the direction of the HR Director, and through engaging with HR teams across all HUBS, team members and management, the HR Advisor will develop or document the following policies/processes and ensure sensitization and capacity development, where necessary;
- Recruitment, selection and placement.
- Performance Management.
Provide project management support and lead HR projects. This includes handbook and salary scale revisions. As project manager, s/he will also engage and consolidate recommendations and make drafts of documents that is reflective of such a collaborative input.
Provide capacity building to the HR team, Managers and team members on HR and management topics. This will include sensitization of HR policies and processes, but also developing training materials, user guides and conducting team meetings and workshops, to provide true knowledge transfer and capacity building.
Reports Directly To: HR Director
Works Directly With: HR Team members in all MC Syria Offices, Managers and team members.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in relevant field, masters preferred
- Minimum 7 years’ field experience setting up and managing human resource departments with humanitarian NGOs.
- Previous experience working as an Advisor / Consultant focused on specific task delivery is essential.
- Proven understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses with experience in Syria is desirable.
- Project management experience.
- Ability to identify and engage stakeholders, yet work independently to deliver projects in specified timeframes.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills. Presentation and training experience highly desirable.
- Proficiency with MS Office software required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent oral and written English. Arabic skills desirable.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
An experienced Advisor or Consultant, who can quickly build relationships, synthesize information and document HR policy and process with organization and country level adaptations. A HR generalist with technical strength, as well as experience in management and communication. Ensuring engagement but keeping focused and timely is crucial. A successful candidate will have the ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel and a demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information, including with remote team members. S/he will also have experience in capacity building and knowledge transfer, so that policies, processes and HR support is sensitized but most importantly, understood.