Senior Coordinator, People Operations - Edinburgh, UK
Location Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Office: Office presence about 2-3 days/week minimum
Position Status Full time
Salary Level salary range starting at £23,000 annual - actual offer placement commensurate on experience
Closing date: Candidates must submit applications before February 15th
Candidates must have the independent right to work in UK at the time of appointment.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse, and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The Department Summary
The People Team ensures that Mercy Corps has the people resources, systems, culture and support in place to allow our team members to thrive. With the support and contributions of the individual units, including Global Talent, Global Human Resources, Systems and Analytics, Total Rewards, and Gender, Diversity and Inclusion (GDI), the People Team seeks to foster and achieve fulfilled, equitable, inclusive, diverse, and high performing global teams. We do this through recruiting and retaining the best global talent and shaping this talent into our future leaders through equitable development opportunities, and then by driving strategic partnership at all levels of the organization. We steward the organizational culture through our systems, structure, and processes and align conversations around diversity, equity, and inclusion, wellbeing, total rewards, and safeguarding priorities; and connect all of this to our core operations and overall mission.
The Senior Coordinator provides administrative and coordination support for the People Operations Team. This position is responsible for completing a range of HR duties that support members of the Mercy Corps global team in a timely and accurate manner with a spirit of teamwork and service. The Senior Coordinator acts as a trusted team member to employees and manages human resources-related data and privacy. This person facilitates effective, proactive tasks with Mercy Corps' People Operation’s administrative requirements and will play a key role in the team member’s life cycles. This position collaborates with partners from Talent Acquisition, Global Total Rewards, GHR and other members on the People Team to ensure the “people needs” of Mercy Corps team members align with and are accounted for within the organization’s administrative tasks associated with People Operations team.
PEOPLE OPERATIONS SUPPORT
- Provide overall administration for the People Operations Department, to the team members supporting HQ and Global functions
- Assist with driving organizational efficiency and excellence by improving systems and processes for collaboration across the People Operations Team.
- Maintain team documentation platform, moving from Google Folders to Microsoft SharePoint.
- Support the collection and processing of all new hire paperwork, including copying, assembling, and sending new/rehire paperwork as needed.
- Coordinate all payments, including all team expense reports, general purchase requests, reimbursements, and vendor invoices in close coordination with Mercy Corps Finance and Procurement teams as needed.
- Develop and maintain a vendor contract tracking system to ensure contracts are centrally located and up to date.
- Support with RFP process specifically with HR and Benefits service providers
- Plan and coordinate HR data and document management, upgrades and efficiency improvements. Project management, as needed
- Support the HR Team with statutory reporting and employee notification & labor law posting requirements, as needed.
- Support the follow-up of outstanding paperwork for new hires, changes and terminations.
- Support the creation of Letters of Assignment for new hires or letters as needed.
- Support with employment verifications, including Public Service Loan Forgiveness, or PSLF, as needed.
- File approved employment changes and file for payroll processing to meet the deadline.
- Support data entry into Mercy Corps’ Human Capital Management Solution as assigned.
- Provide audit support for both internal and external audits.
- Responsible for filing all HR and Payroll related paperwork into the appropriate team member files.
- Support with Mercy Corps’ US immigration cases as needed visas and permanent residency.
- Support the process of maintaining and updating team member information in Mercy Corps’ Human Capital Management System (HCM) and Application Tracking System (ATS).
- Support the End of Service process in coordination with supervisors and HR.
- Support the People Team with global priorities, diversity & inclusion efforts, data entry and reporting.
- Provide coverage for People Operations Advisors as needed
- Conduct the candidate reference check, criminal background check and MDS check processes for US and MCG roles.
- In charge of maintaining the MDS database for requests and result
- Collaborates effectively with members of the People Team, and other stakeholders, to provide comprehensive, timely and equitable HR support to the Mercy Corps global team.
- Support with the People Operations processes and procedures account for European requirements.
- Collaborate with the HR Advisor, Europe, and Head of HR, Europe to remain up to date on all compliance and policy changes and facilitates any updates or revisions to People Operations team engagement.
- Consistently strives to exceed expectations; demonstrates flexibility, resilience, and the ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintains high ethical standards and treats people with respect and dignity.
- Maintains productive relationships with all stakeholders, including country teams, other headquarters functions, donors, and regulators. Builds mutually rewarding professional relationships inside Mercy Corps at all levels.
- Promotes Mercy Corps culture by promoting the development and advancement of ideas that allows for new and unique approaches to problem-solving within existing policy and procedural requirements.
- Demonstrates an awareness of his/her personal strengths and development needs, modeling non-defensive behavior and openness to feedback; builds a culture of feedback and learning.
- Demonstrates an elevated level of commitment to confidentiality and non-disclosure.
Reports Directly To: Team Lead, People Operations
Works Directly With: People Operations Advisors, Consultant Specialist, People Operations Senior Director, and others on the People Team
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualifications & Transferable Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or 3+ years of demonstrated administrative support experience in Human Resources, Talent Acquisition, or personal management.
- Able to maintain operational consistency with other team members and actively keep management informed.
- Demonstrated history of providing excellent customer service and a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to follow procedures, complete tasks with high quality outputs, meet deadlines, and shift priorities while maintaining effective time management.
- A historically demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information.
- Must have strong analytical, mathematical, and problem solving skills, effective organizational and interpersonal skills; strong written and verbal communication.
- Understanding of HR processes and data, common analytical techniques, and methodologies to share information and trends with non-HR professionals.
- Understanding of major US employment laws including EEOC, COBRA, FMLA, and FLSA is a plus.
- Multilingual is a ‘plus’ (English required with French, Spanish or Arabic as a second language).
The successful team member will be an avid learner, self-directed, innovative and action orientated. Furthermore, they must have the ability to work independently, employ effective time management skills, handle frequent interruptions, and shift priorities, exhibit effective customer service skills and work effectively with a wide variety of individuals including team members based overseas. S/he will have the ability to work onsite and collaborate with team members with HQ and other global staff. Additionally, the individual will thrive in a fast-paced environment prone to rapid change and be willing to increase his/her responsibility level in the assigned areas. The most successful Mercy Corps team members have a positive approach, a strong commitment to teamwork and personal accountability and the ability to be flexible and ensure that effective communication is a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This role is based in Edinburgh, United Kingdom. The individual must have the independent right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a business trip to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening, and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination based on race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.