Digital Marketing Manager - Portland or Washington DC or US Remote
Location: Portland or Washington, D.C or US remote
Valid unrestricted work authorization in the country in which you will be based (United States) is required at the time of application for this position.
Position Status: Full-time, Regular, Exempt
Salary: Starting salary for this role will be $76,800 – $91,200 annually, commensurate on experience.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The Marketing & Communications department’s purpose is to amplify and support Mercy Corps’ mission by raising flexible funds, strengthening supporter partnerships and raising our global profile and influence, and fostering team collaboration and connectivity.
We boldly share Mercy Corps’ global impact with our audiences, with a focus on building trust, engagement and long-term relationships among our global team members and with our supporters. We inspire financial support and partnership through transparency, inclusivity, creativity and best-in-class storytelling. We work across teams to protect Mercy Corps’ reputation and safeguard our ability to operate.
The role of the Marketing team is to guide the direction of Mercy Corps’ global brand and develop and implement strategies to promote brand awareness and drive a sustainable base of unrestricted financial support, particularly among mass-market supporter audiences.
- With the Director of Digital Marketing and digital agency partner, develop annual and multi-year digital campaign goals designed to build engaging, long-term relationships with supporters.
- Manage reporting and analytics in partnership with our digital agency partner and Development Operations team, communicating them to relevant teams; adjusting and optimizing campaign tactics, and addressing donor issues as needed.
- Manage digital segmentation strategy and data select processes.
- Manage digital testing strategies. Track testing results and adjustments to strategy.
- Support the development and tracking of digital budgets, including campaign expenses and revenue goals.
- Look for opportunities to create cross-channel experiences and align online and offline marketing and fundraising programs to create audience-focused experiences.
- Research and identify current and emerging trends in email programs, digital marketing, fundraising, and user behavior, and bring new ideas to the team. Stay up-to-date on new technologies and industry best practices.
- Manage digital fundraising agency partner’s adaptation of strategies into specific documented plans that include timelines, content strategy, offers, ask strings, segmentation, testing, and projected response rates and revenue.
- Assist in developing and maintaining content direction in support of multi-channel mass market strategies, leveraging audience insights, production realities, and Mercy Corps’ content strategy and brand messaging to drive audiences toward a desired action.
- Support the agency’s goals for strategy and brand and ensure consistency of branding and messaging in line with the vision, voice, visual style, tools, and templates of the global agency. Maintain consistent application of email design system and fundraising messaging compliance.
- Regularly evaluate email systems and processes to ensure maximum efficiency and revenue.
- Assist with list hygiene including lead generation and list acquisition, e-appends, and email preference management; manage email deliverability.
- Collaborate with Direct Mail Manager and Social Media Manager to ensure cross-channel alignment in our user experience. Look for opportunities to co-target or create moments of content alignment.
- Collaborate with Mid-Level team and Sustainer Manager to ensure audience-focused email support of shared audiences.
- With the Director of Digital Marketing, support the development of annual budgets, revenue and new donor acquisition goals; maintain the projection, tracking, and approval of revenue and expenses.
- In coordination with agency partners and Digital Development team, lead the day-to-day production of mass market digital content, including donor renewal and prospect conversion, receipts, Mid-Level and Sustainer communications, and donation pages; manage messaging oversight, fact-checking and proofreading agency-produced content, and pre-release quality assurance of all emails.
- Support editorial oversight to ensure Mercy Corps’ voice and values come to life consistently in all written communications. Maintain fundraising guidelines/standards and offer compliance.
- Ensure that all copy and content is clear, compelling, and consistent with established brand and fundraising compliance guidance, and is completed on time and according to strategy.
- Ensure excellent program quality by regularly monitoring, troubleshooting issues, and reviewing all content elements for accuracy and function.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Analyze and report on progress to goals and effectiveness of specific channels, campaigns, platforms, tactics, and vendor performance; adapt plans based on analysis.
- Regularly provide fundraising analytics reporting to Director of Digital Marketing, Managing Director - Mass Market Engagement, and senior Marketing leadership as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or other relevant field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in digital fundraising, marketing, or a related field, that demonstrates progressive levels of responsibility and expertise, preferably with experience in nonprofit fundraising including a thorough understanding of fundraising practices and ethics.
- Proven success with translating fundraising strategies and goals into effective campaigns across multiple channels and communication formats.
- Track record of using purposeful storytelling to drive organizational impact and business results in a nonprofit, foundation, or NGO setting.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt communications’ style and message for a variety of audiences – portfolio of writing samples required.
- Experience with leveraging data and performance results to shape strategy and creative concepts.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to think strategically.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Experience managing relationships with outside vendors and consultants.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams.
- The successful Digital Marketing Manager is an eternally curious, creative, and ambitious marketer and fundraiser who can partner with other strategists and subject-matter experts to deliver compelling content and drive fundraising results.
- Is a creative AND analytical thinker; someone data-driven who can bring the brand to life in ways that emotionally connect with supporters. They are a skilled storyteller who can conceive and execute content that entertains, engages, educates, and prompts the audience to take action.
- Has well-honed strategic-thinking skills, using appropriate data to drive decisions, strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize, and manage multiple deadlines.
- Is strongly detail oriented and a self-starter, a resourceful, flexible, and practical individual who can solve immediate problems while staying on strategy and on schedule.
- Has the ability to own a project from planning through development, implementation, and analysis.
- Is purpose-driven and wants to feel confident they’re making a positive difference in the world. You embrace the Mercy Corps mission and share our sense of urgency about the global issues central to our work.
Covid-19 Vaccine Policy for US-Based Employees
Mercy Corps has determined that, in an effort to protect the health, safety, and well-being of all Mercy Corps employees working in the United States, all U.S.-based employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, regardless of prior COVID-19 infection status. This policy is necessary to ensure not only the safety of our workforce, but the ongoing functionality of the organization.
This policy will be revised as needed to comply with federal, state, and local requirements, and to respond to changing guidance from public health authorities.
For new employees this requirement goes into effect within 10 business days of employment. Team members that travel are expected to comply with host-country requirements, including vaccinations. Failure to comply may impact your employment. Proof of vaccination or exemption must be provided.