Consultant - Junior/Mid-level Front End Developer - Remote
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Iraq, Mercy Corps has worked since 2003 across all 18 governments to alleviate suffer, respond to the needs of vulnerable people in emergencies, and help build a better future for the youth in a more peaceful and coherent communities.
Mercy Corps is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. We work in over forty countries across a broad range of focus areas including agriculture, cash distribution, emergency response, food security, gender equality, and governance.
TolaData is Mercy Corps’ custom-built web application for managing and organizing program performance data. Program teams set performance targets in TolaData and report results with supporting evidence. TolaData enables programs to monitor progress throughout the implementation period, so that they can adapt their activities to achieve greater impact. The application streamlines the production of essential documentation required by internal and external stakeholders, and promotes transparency and accountability by storing program performance data in a centralized and reliably accessible location.
TolaData is an open source project sponsored by Mercy Corps that has been in production since January 2016. After an intensive roll-out period, TolaData is now an agency requirement for programs operating in all Mercy Corps countries. We are continually evolving the platform, introducing new features and improvements that enhance utility and usability. We are looking for additional support to expedite development and deliver our road-map, through June 2021.
The Consultant will join a small development team consisting of two full stack developers and a user experience lead who also serves as the team’s product owner. We are a collaborative, consensus-seeking team that constantly exchanges ideas about design and implementation details throughout the product development life cycle.
- Develop new product features and enhancements that meet business requirements.
- Read and interpret design documentation, soliciting clarification and refinement of acceptance criteria as needed.
- Write, clean, readable, commented code, and participate in code reviews.
- Work with the UX lead to ensure that all acceptance criteria are met and to resolve any issues that arise during quality assurance testing.
- Work from existing UI patterns and establish new patterns when needed.
- Write unit tests in an existing Continuous Integration (CI) testing environment.
- Diagnose and fix bugs.
- Participate in work scoping and estimation discussions
The Consultant will assist the team in delivering the following items on our product roadmap. Please note that our fiscal year calendar runs from July 1 through June 30.
- Q1-Q2: Implement features and enhancements that improve the user experience of entering performance indicator details in TolaData.
- Q3: Implement data views and reporting features for monitoring and driving TolaData adoption.
- Q4: Prototype an interactive table that improves the efficiency of reporting results in TolaData.
- Q1-Q4: Work through our rolling backlog of incremental improvements and bug fixes.
Timeframe / Schedule:
One year engagement, 20-30 hours per week
The Consultant will report to:
Technical Project Manager
The Consultant will work closely with:
Tola Development Team and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Team
Required Experience & Skills
- 3-5 years experience with front end development of websites and web-based applications.
- Experience working with a web framework such as React or Angular. (Experience with Django is a plus.)
- Experience working on applications that consume RESTful APIs.
- Able to set up and maintain a local development server with set requirements running Django over MySQL.
- Able to read and interpret software design documentation in the form of user stories, detailed acceptance criteria, and annotated mock-ups. Capable of delivering reliable markup that meets requirements and closely resembles design mockups.
- Strong communicator who can effectively work with colleagues from a variety of technical and non-technical backgrounds including developers, designers, and subject matter experts.
- Curious about other people’s ideas and perspectives, and willing to share their own.
- Does not hesitate to seek clarification and assistance when needed.Able to explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Interested in exploring alternative paths to solving a problem.
- Welcomes and proactively seeks feedback.
- Able to work remotely and collaborate with team members based in the Pacific (GMT-8) time zone.
Mercy Corps Diversity Statement
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.