STA - Talent Acquisition Manager - Syria
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The Syria program operates across several countries in various program modalities. Recruitment is currently managed within each ‘hub’, defined by geography. Over the past year, the HR function has increased in size, with additional capacity aimed at improving quality and supporting the transition to a strategic partner. Improvements and clarification regarding recruitment practices have taken place, and MC Syria now wishes to establish a talent acquisition function for the country program. The STA Talent Acquisition Manager will propose the most suitable structure and scope for the talent acquisition function, taking into account specificities of the country program and the recent investment into recruitment practices.
General Position Summary
The Talent Acquisition Manager will join an HR department currently engaged in several workstreams that would contribute to a successful Talent Acquisition Strategy, including work around compensation and benefits, harmonization of Positions Descriptions, review of the Performance Review System as well as review and implementation of a new recruitment policy and tools. In this context the Talent Acquisition Manager will understand the talent acquisition and recruitment needs of the country program; review the current practices across all hubs; and provide recommendations related to qualitative recruitment improvements as well as establishing the talent acquisition function, and associated processes and responsibilities.
They will lead the selection process for the permanent talent acquisition positions that will work at the Syria country level. They will work closely with the HR teams across all hubs, as well as engage with Managers and other stakeholders across the country program to ensure a thorough understanding of needs and opportunities.
Essential Job Responsibilities
TALENT ACQUISITION – ANALYSIS, STRATEGY & LEADERSHIP
- Build relationships and engage with the various stakeholders to understand the program portfolio, strategy and talent acquisition and recruitment priorities;
- Observe and evaluate current practices and tools utilized by the HR department, proposing synergies and implementing systems or processes that further enhance and provide efficiency;
- Identify capacity development opportunities for HR teams, that strengthen our practices and supports the HR transition to a strategic partner;
- Engage with Managers to understand perceptions regarding current recruitment procedures, alignment to recent guidelines and any opportunities that remain for quality improvements o capacity development;
- Engage with HR department to design and provide training around recruitment and talent acquisition practices, for all departments;
- Propose and design the implementation of a country specific, talent acquisition and recruitment function for Syria. Such would include;
- Respect for MC Global Talent Acquisition approach and how such can be reflected at the country level;
- Reviewing roles and responsibilities of both the talent acquisition and HR team members, with respect to having a stand alone talent acquisition function for Syria as a whole;
- Process and system adaptations;
- Designing the implementation plan for a talent acquisition function and any related transfer of duties.
- Design PD’s and lead the recruitment process for the long term talent acquisition team.
Recruitment, Selection and Placement
- Work with hiring managers and management to ensure relevant hiring requests are complete according to Recruiting Policies and Procedures;
- Reflect on recruitment practices and identify opportunities to bring improvements to the compliance and qualitative aspects of recruitment processes;
- Identify and provide capacity-building opportunities to improve recruitment procedures and their quality.
Reports Directly To: Director of Human Resources, Syria.
Works Directly With: Syria HR team, Program and Support Managers and Supervisors, Hiring managers, Regional (& if relevant HQ) Talent Acquisition team.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in relevant field, masters preferred
- 5 years’ experience in Human Resources Management, with at least 3 years’ experience at Management level, within the Humanitarian NGO sector;
- Demonstrated experience in managing recruitment and talent acquisition functions;
- Strongly desirable experience in establishing or redesigning talent acquisition function(s) in current or previous role(s);
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses with experience in the Middle East and in insecure environments.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Experience working in remote management an advantage.
- Excellent analytical, planning and communication skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Arabic is desirable.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team in a sensitive environment.
The individual will have a solid understanding of HR and working in emergencies. S/he will have a strong understanding of HR best practice in order to lead the function, achieve results and understand priorities. S/he will be comfortable engaging with individuals at all levels within the country program and will do so with a clear and effective communication. S/he will be able to transfer knowledge to team members and lead planning that runs across functions as relates to people. S/he will quickly grasp programs and challenges and provide immediate interim solutions to identified gaps in HR administration.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Amman, Jordan, and is accompanied for international team members. Jordan is middle- income country with excellent education, medical, and other facilities in the capital Amman. Jordan is a very safe country with excellent communications, transportation, and housing infrastructure. Although neighbouring countries continue to experience political unrest, Jordan has been a stable monarchy for over 30 years and the destination preference for many people from the Middle East to relax or gain access to available services. In recent years, events unfolding in Syria and Iraq have increased local concerns over the continued stability of Jordan but to date there have been no major incidents.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.