STA - Procurement Manager - North East Syria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Since 2012 the Mercy Corps Syria program provides emergency, life-saving programming to displaced and besieged populations across the country through three operational hubs. Mercy Corps continues to position itself as the implementing partner of choice for Emergency relief programming, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene, Shelter and Livelihood programming. Furthermore, Mercy Corps operates with a wide network of local implementing partners to advise, support, and coach targeted Syrian civil society organizations to serve conflict-affected communities better and more efficiently.
Mercy Corps is present in North-East Syria, focusing its interventions on emergency and early recovery programming. With funding from United States, United Kingdom, European and UN donors, Mercy Corps has been able to work together with communities in North-East Syria to respond to displacements of IDPs and refugees, to provide emergency inputs and to support livelihoods.
The Procurement Manager (STA) for North-East Syria shall provide leadership for Procurement functions and teams of North-East Syria with the expansion of programmatic area and portfolio. The Procurement Manager will work closely with the North-East Syria leadership (Area Director of Operations) and the Syria Director of Operations to ensure an effective, efficient, and results-driven Procurement team while contributing to the effectiveness, efficiency of Mercy Corps NE Syria procurement activities and ensuring that Mercy Corps /Donor rules, regulations and mandatory procedures are being adhered. The duty station is in Amman, Jordan with travel to North-East Syria as needed.
● Work closely with programmatic leads, the NES Area Director of Operations, and the Syria country program leadership (Syria Director of Operations and Senior Manager – Procurement and Strategy) to develop policies, procedures and team set-up better adapted to procurement for emergency programs in NES.
● Organize proper filing of the Procurement related documentation according to Mercy Corps and Syria country program standards.
● Maintain procurement tracking log and associated database or other tracking tools to ensure follow-up and analysis are updated on a weekly and monthly basis.
● Ensure that Procurement Teams around NES offices are conducting Best Value Procurement for Mercy Corps contractors.
● Assist Program and Operational personnel in regular procurement planning meetings.
● Engage with program managers for the development and regular updating of procurement plans for each project, while concurrently planning quarterly procurement planning outlines for resource planning.
● Lead the implementation of market surveys.
● Ensure ongoing communication with the different departments to ensure good planning of all purchases.
● Maintain a database of good, reliable suppliers for different categories of supplies, services, and goods.
● Ensure that Master Purchase Agreements/Master Service Agreement processes are developed, managed, and maintained in a timely manner and in line with Mercy Corps guidelines.
● Ensure all contracts and contractual terms are respected by supplier and Mercy Corps and respect local contractual standards.
● Review Bid Invitations and Request for Quotations (RFQs), Request for Proposals (RFPs) and others Market Survey tools and make sure that implemented as per Mercy Corps rules and regulations.
● Responsible to manage the implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement.
● Responsible to develop and manage rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality, and performance measurement mechanisms.
● Remain informed, on an ongoing basis, about current and changing procurement policy updated and donor’s updates on, policies and “best practices” to ensure that current and future procurement processes are up to date.
STRATEGY & VISION
● Set direction by prioritizing and organizing procurement-related actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to the North-East Syria strategy and portfolio changes.
● Analyze procurement team set up in each geographic area of North-East Syria, while proposing adjustments where required.
● Develop the management tools necessary to ensure control, compliance, and efficiency of the department.
● Analyze and proposes changes to procedures based on needs and risk management.
● Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
● Recruit and train staff accordingly to guarantee a high performing and professional team is in place.
● Identify gaps and systems breakdowns and assist the Procurement team to be able to achieve the objectives.
● Promote accountability, communicate expectations, and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
● Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
● Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
● As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
● In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Reports Directly To: Area Director of Operations – North-East Syria
Reports Indirectly To: Senior Manager – Procurement & Strategy, Syria Country Program
Works Directly With: NES Area Director, Area Director of Programs, Finance Manager, and all Programmatic leads and Operations staff throughout the offices.
Supervises: Procurement Coordinator, Procurement Officer and indirect supervision of all other Procurement staff for NES.
● BA/BS degree in a relevant field, Masters preferred.
● A minimum of 5-7 field experience setting up and managing procurement systems with humanitarian NGOs with supervisory responsibilities.
● A demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
● Knowledge of donor regulations including USAID, EC, DFID regulations.
● Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
● Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and strong computer skills on MS Office 365, especially MS Excel.
● Excellent oral and written English skills are required. Knowledge of the Arabic language is desirable.
● Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment; and
● A demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies.
The successful candidate will demonstrate critical problem-solving skills, and the ability to work out methods to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor regulations. They will maintain strong cooperating relationships with other departments. A successful candidate will have the ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity and demonstrate the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities. They will be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The successful candidate will have a desire to grow and learn in one of the most interesting and complex crises of our times. They will face challenges with a smile and light-heartedness. The successful candidate will be comfortable in asking colleagues for help as well as stepping out of her/his role to assist others. The Mercy Corps team is one that emphasizes the value of joy and curiosity. The team enjoys a great sense of humour and appreciates sharing meals amongst colleagues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Amman, Jordan, with travel to program implementation sites, security permitting and as required for coordination and reporting. This is an unaccompanied position with an individual housing or a guest house in Amman and a group housing in an austere environment in Syria. This position is not eligible for R&R breaks and hardship allowance.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.