Consultant - MicroMentor Brand Designer - Portland HQ or Remote
Background:Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
MicroMentor is an initiative of Mercy Corps’ Innovations Team. At MicroMentor, our mission is to leverage the power of mentoring to help small businesses thrive. We do so by offering entrepreneurs direct access to a pool of committed professional volunteer mentors via an easy-to-use online community. MicroMentor has an expanding community making 10,000 mentoring connections every year. Entrepreneurs matched with a mentor have shown significant results in terms of improved job creation, business survival, and revenue growth. Our team is diverse, driven, hardworking and highly committed to the mission of helping small businesses thrive through mentoring, and about Mercy Corps’ mission to support our worldwide team that’s improving the lives of 19 million people in 40+ countries.
MicroMentor is a growing program within Mercy Corps and functions much like a technology start-up. Through a proprietary online mentoring platform, MicroMentor provides a technology solution that connects small business owners and entrepreneurs with skilled volunteer business mentors on a global scale. In addition to managing the general community of users, MicroMentor provides a niche product offering to corporations, international NGOs and government entities as a program-implementing partner.
Purpose / Project Description:
Micromentor is seeking a Brand Designer Consultant to facilitate a comprehensive brand refresh project. The purpose of this project is to modernize and enhance our brand identity with accessibility at its core, aligning it with the evolving goals and aspirations of our organization. This initiative is timely, given the ongoing development of the new Micromentor app, and aims to revitalize our brand, which has remained largely unchanged for the past five years.
The primary objectives for the Brand Designer Consultant are as follows:
- Review already completed research: Evaluate existing research and make recommendations based on previously completed brand audit, competitive analysis, and stakeholder interviews.
- Accessible Brand Refresh: Develop a comprehensive and accessibility-minded brand refresh that includes a new brand voice, a refreshed typeface, an updated logo design, and an updated color palette.
- Application Examples: Provide visual examples of how the refreshed brand can be applied across various touchpoints, including the app, social media posts, marketing materials, and other relevant platforms.
Consultant Activities / Deliverables:
Receipt and MicroMentor acceptance of:
- Brand Guidelines: A comprehensive proposal outlining the new brand voice, typeface, logo design, and color palette, complete with rationale.
- Application Examples: Visual representations illustrating how the refreshed brand can be effectively applied across various platforms and materials.
Timeframe / Schedule:
One time project, to start immediately.
Duration of project: 1 month.
Estimated hours: 10 hours per week.
The Consultant will report to:
Director, Technology, MicroMentor
The Consultant will work closely with:
MicroMentor UX Designer
Required Experience & Skills:
The ideal consultant will have the following experience and skills:
- 5-10 years of professional experience in a technically relevant field.
- Branding Experience: Experience and portfolio demonstrating previous branding projects for digital clients and/or global audiences.
- Creative Design Skills: Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite to create and modify visual elements. Ability to conceptualize and execute creative design solutions that align with brand objectives and accessibility requirements.
- Brand Strategy Expertise: Strong understanding of brand strategy and the ability to develop a cohesive brand identity that resonates with target audiences.
- Research and Analysis: Proficiency in conducting brand audits, competitive analysis, and market research to inform branding decisions. Ability to distill insights from data and research into actionable recommendations.
- Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively convey branding concepts, ideas, and rationales to stakeholders.
- Stakeholder Collaboration: Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and incorporate stakeholder feedback into brand strategies.
- Project Management: Strong project management skills to ensure timely delivery of project milestones and deliverables. Ability to work within specified timelines and budgets.
- Attention to Detail: Keen attention to detail in design work to maintain brand consistency and quality across all touchpoints.
- Cultural Sensitivity: Sensitivity to cultural nuances and the ability to create a brand identity that is inclusive and resonates with a diverse audience.
In addition to your CV, please submit a brief cover letter which includes a list of relevant projects/experience, expected fees/daily rate, and availability.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.