Consultant - Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Expert for GSG - Palestine
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
GSG strongly promotes gender equality, diversity, and inclusion within its program. It has gender-sensitive logical frameworks, disaggregates data by gender, and designs and delivers specific initiatives for women and young women. Recently, we conducted a participatory Gender Equality and Inclusion Audit across Mercy Corps Palestine (MCP) and the GSG program with the support of an external consultant.
Purpose / Project Description:
The main objectives of the audit were to facilitate a reflection and learning process with the MCP/GSG teams on gender equality, diversity, and social inclusion to identify the strengths and challenges across the organization and program specifically, as well as to determine concrete recommendations to inform the way forward for gender, diversity and inclusion within the program.
GSG is at a critical point in its evolution where significant reflection is taking place within the team to define its vision and identity. The outcomes of the Gender Equality and Inclusion Audit are key components to informing this process. To facilitate the next steps, GSG seeks to engage a short-term consultant to support the design of a coherent strategic vision for gender equality, diversity, and inclusion in the GSG program that aligns with Mercy Corps’ global strategy.
The Consultant will:
- Support the GSG team to develop a gender equality, diversity and inclusion (GEDSI) strategy and implementation plan for GSG, which includes but is not limited to:
- Co-creation workshop: Brainstorm workshops, SWOT analysis, and participatory discussion to agree on innovative solutions and strategies
- First draft of strategy: Based on co-creation process, develop a first draft of the strategy, accompanying implementation plan, and metrics for measuring success.
- Validation of work product: Support presentation of the first draft of the strategy and accompanying implementation plan for validation to the GSG team.
- Finalization of work product: Submit final strategy and accompanying implementation plan and metrics for measuring success, along with presentation of the strategy suitable to external audiences.
- Support in the development of a systematic and comprehensive training program for staff on gender, social inclusion, rights-based approaches, and power dynamics within the Palestinian context with help of the GEDSI Officer and MC GESI team. Materials should be suitable for future use and delivery by the GEDSI officer for new team members, and adaptable to changing circumstances.
The Consultant will:
- Work plan and methodology for the desired outcomes with specific timelines
- Draft GEDSI strategy, implementation plan, and metrics for measuring success.
- Final GEDSI strategy, implementation plan, and metrics for measuring success, along with presentation of strategy for external audiences.
- GDI training material and implementation for the GSG team.
Timeframe / Schedule:
Open application Sep 15, 2022
Close application Sep 30, 2022
Consultancy period start: October 15,2022.
Consultancy period end: March 20, 2023.
The Consultant will report to:
Gender, Diversity, and Inclusion officer
Required Experience & Skills:
- More than 5 years of experience working with GEDSI capacity building and strategy development for NGOs, preferably in Palestine or the MENA region.
- Experience with co-creation approaches and participatory facilitation.
- Experience with delivering GEDSI training and design of custom material to facilitate this.
- Previous experience working with diverse teams across multiple locations/offices (including remote).
- Fluent in Arabic and English. Strong written English required or commitment to engage an English writer within the consultancy team to ensure that the quality of written products is at professional standard.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Palestine, potentially including Gaza (noting that MC will facilitate the application of permits and approvals).
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Closing Date: 11:59pm (UK Time) on Sunday 2 October 2022