employee relations manager
Mendocino Farms Sandwich Market, Inc.
Employee Relations Manager
Los Angeles, CA
Mendocino Farms Employee Relations function is responsible for engaging with employees and leaders at critical moments in the employee life cycle to ensure an equitable, inclusive, and respectful experience for all employees consistent with Mendo’s policies, values, and culture.
The Employee Relations “ER” Manager will support Mendo’s operations leaders and other stakeholders with ER expertise and services, including leading workplace investigations, policy creation and interpretation, performance management, medical accommodations, workplace training, organizational change assessment, crisis response, case data analytics, and other workplace projects impacting the employee experience.
- Analyzes information and data necessary to define and discern cost and policy implications of negotiations and disputes. This may include management proposals, pay scales and wages, benefits, working conditions, and other mitigating circumstances.
- Uses surveys, interviews, and other studies to conduct research regarding human resource policies, compensation, and other employment issues. After analyzing the information, makes recommendations on changes.
- Researches and explains laws and legal affairs concerning employment to managers, supervisors, and employees.
- Advises and trains managers and supervisors in best employee relations practices and strategies for managing supervisor problems and employee grievances. Develops further training as needed.
- Collaborates with leadership on matters of policy and terms of memoranda of understanding before and throughout negotiation process.
- Collaborates with legal counsel and departments in the preparation for and participation in negotiation with employee and labor groups.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred.
- High emotional intelligence and strong people skills.
- Experience managing diversity and inclusion topics.
- Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential matters with compassion and equity.
- Ability to work collaboratively, lead and influence at all levels within the organization, and make decisions while keeping all partners and leaders informed.
- Experience working with senior executives in an “influence-without-authority” role.
- Ability to position self as credible, proactive and a trusted thought-partner.
- Independent work style, balancing the need for collaboration with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Thorough understanding of state and federal laws concerning labor relations.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies.
- Thorough understanding of negotiation techniques.
- Thorough understanding of dispute resolution and compensation administration.
- Ability to remain tactful, calm, and persuasive in controversial and/or confrontational situations.
- Hospitality industry experience a plus.
- The ability to travel to store locations throughout CA and Texas approximately 25% of the time.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Employee Relations, Human Resources or related experience required.
- 5+ years of professional human resource administration, including two years in employee relations preferred OR its equivalent through training, education, and other experience.
- Competitive salary
- Meal privileges
- Health benefits
- 401k Plan
- Paid Vacation
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds.
- Sitting / standing 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing and pulling
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting, and reaching
* Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the team member for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
There is no “I” in Mendo
Mendocino Farms is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. Mendocino Farms will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.