Senior Applications Engineer
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences with the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial and real-world data. Powered by artificial intelligence and delivered by #1 ranked industry experts, the Intelligent Platform for Life Sciences helps pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device companies and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk and optimize outcomes. Medidata serves more than 1,000 customers and partners worldwide and empowers more than 100,000 certified users every day to create hope for millions of patients. Discover the future of life sciences: www.mdsol.com
We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.
The Software Engineer Function is responsible for hands-on development of Medidata’s software applications. The Engineer is one who works very quickly to resolve high impact, challenging, engineering problems while continuously raising the standard of quality in our products and services in a full solutions-oriented SaaS environment.
- Develop software applications and associated artifacts such as unit tests, installation programs and test automation code
- Apply good technical practices such as continuous integration, test automation, source code control and review
- Provide diagnostic support and bug fixing for software applications
- Follow Medidata’s Standard Operating Procedures to ensure all software meets regulatory and company requirements
- Work with Agile team members, particularly Software Quality Assurance and Product
- Management, to write clear, concise and comprehensive feature files
- Participate in Agile working practices such as daily scrum meetings, sprint planning meetings, reviews and retrospectives
- Utilizes appropriate methods to solve problems in an accurate and efficient manner
- Effectively communicates technical information and processes to relevant stakeholders (e.g., cross-functional groups, clients)
- Effectively executes processes associated with the software development life cycle
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge of relevant concepts, applications, and programming languages
- Attend all appropriate team meetings
- Provides estimates in backlog grooming
- Identify tasks in planning
- Contribute to scenario writing
- Actively contribute at retrospectives
- Participate in experimental changes in organizational process arising from retrospectives
- Apply simple platform design principles locally
- Extend service contracts
- Apply BDD/TDD. Apply simple patterns
- Be aware of the impact of design on performance, e.g. through algorithmic complexity, N+1 fetching, etc
- Competent in tech stack of choice
- Deliver new areas of functionality
- Create unit tests and step definitions for test automation where appropriate.
- Participate in experimental changes in implementation process arising from retrospectives
- Submit pull requests and respond appropriately
- Perform local refactoring under the guidance of senior colleagues
- Initiate automated deployment to test environments.
- Access production logs.
- Diagnose issues while dealing with initial uncertainty and incomplete information
- Identify root causes
- Create fixes with unit tests where appropriate
- Provide technical impact assessment
- Read documentation and internal blogs
- Attend team presentations
- Participate as mentee
Your Education & Experience:
- Four-year college degree preferred; major in computer science, information systems or life sciences a plus
- Requires a minimum of 4 years of experience with relevant programming technologies, such as
- C#, Ruby, SQL or 2 years of experience and MS.
- Experience developing and/or maintaining a production application
- Experience working in a regulated environment preferred
- Experience with clinical research processes preferred
- Experience working with Agile methods such as Scrum preferred
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.