Senior Director of Data Science
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences with the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial and real-world data. Powered by artificial intelligence and delivered by #1 ranked industry experts, the Intelligent Platform for Life Sciences helps pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device companies and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk and optimize outcomes. Medidata serves more than 1,000 customers and partners worldwide and empowers more than 100,000 certified users every day to create hope for millions of patients. Discover the future of life sciences: www.mdsol.com
We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.
About AcornAI - a Medidata company
Medidata’s journey started in 1999 when a scientist working on his first clinical trial waded through inefficiencies and delays – and knew that technology could improve the process. Almost 20 years later, we've grown to be the leader in clinical technology. In 2019, we launched AcornAI to meet changing biopharma needs as companies rapidly progress to the age of precision medicine.
Built on our platform with the industry’s largest structured, standardized and growing clinical trial data repository consisting of 17,000+ trials and 4.5M patients, AcornAI is one of the largest AI companies exclusively dedicated to life sciences. Our team is composed of over 40 PhD/Masters statisticians, data scientists, analytical product leads, former FDA biostatisticians and computational genomicists.
AcornAI’s delivery team is looking for individuals who will help us tackle some of the most complex questions facing the industry today using our proprietary AcornAI platform and advanced analytics. In this role, you will engage with clients throughout projects to ensure the best analytical approach, successful delivery and client satisfaction. At AcornAI, we never work alone. This role will partner heavily with all of the key stakeholder functions including Product, Data Science, Engineering, partnerships and Biostatistics. Successful candidates will be skilled in analytical/quantitative thinking, structured communication and excited about building the next horizon of Medidata’s journey of powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
The Senior Director of Data Science is responsible for driving data vision, strategy, and execution and ensuring that data science goals and technology investments are aligned with the business’s mission, strategy, and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive data vision, strategy, and execution. Define how the business can create additional value through the development of algorithms and other utilization of its data assets and analytics. Drive alignment and support across the organization through collaboration, communication, and transparency.
- Oversee the data science department, inclusive of data science, algorithm development, data analytics, data engineering and data architecture roles necessary to build the data capabilities to efficiently derive value from data
- Build the business’s data science talent needs through role definition, recruitment, and development of a team of data scientists that will jointly move the business’s agenda forward
- Play a mentorship role to key data science positions, guiding them through the execution of their duties, and encouraging their professional growth
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders to identify and prioritize data science use cases that support the company’s imperatives and objectives and improve customers’ experiences
- Create the process to identify, prioritize, define, and execute data science projects and create transfer mechanisms such as reports, visualizations, requirements, or tools
- Work with product management and engineering stakeholders to define a process around data instrumentation
- Build out a modern data platform that meets the core data provisioning needs of the organization’s data consumers
- Define and support business intelligence and analytics needs
- Create the process and capabilities to feed actionable insights back into departments for continued learning, iteration, and action
- Identify opportunities for data-driven applications that could measurably improve the customer experience and the business’s efficiency through automation and machine learning
- Define the company’s strategy for data distribution
- Free up resources, lower barriers, and increase productivity through process
- Insert data requirements into technology choices and investment decisions
- Participate in defining cross-functional data governance
- Build bridges between business and engineering stakeholders
- Identify and provide tools and training to help others leverage data
- Train and inspire stakeholders to identify opportunities to leverage data science and simulations
- 7+ years of work experience in a Data Science domain
- 4+ years experience in people management and team leadership
- Experience in the digital healthcare industry
- Experience building and leading data science practices and evangelizing/advocating for data science value across the business and to diverse audiences
- Expertise in data science, modeling, machine learning, and analytics. Experience successfully deriving insights from data, modeling, and simulation into actionable algorithms that drive business value. Expertise in big data technology infrastructure and environments coupled with business processes.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and convincingly with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to align cross-functional groups and influence business executives and stakeholders
- Deep knowledge of data and how to apply that data; business acumen to understand what needs to happen in order to support business objectives; technology skills to select the right tools and techniques to execute on objectives; communication skills to get the buy-in needed to get everyone else pulling in the same direction
- Be a result-driven individual; be highly creative, innovative, and analytical; be a strategic thinker; have an ability to work comfortably in a collaborative setting; be comfortable working with business top-leadership and executives; be highly organized; have an ability to work on multiple simultaneous projects and meet tight deadlines; have the ability to navigate times of uncertainty and stress; be a team-builder; be proactive and self-driven requiring minimal supervision; be open and welcoming to change
Additionally, the ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Knowledge of diabetes management
- Knowledge of diabetes products, business models, industry practices and the competitive landscape
- Knowledge of control engineering
- Knowledge of user-centric design
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, or another related field. Advanced degree (PhD, MS) preferred. An equivalent combination of education and work experience is also acceptable for the position.
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.#LI-BK1