Lead Data Engineer / ETL Developer, Life Science (Open to Remote Workers)
Join Medidata to help shape the future of Clinical Studies with data driven products and services. Our data platform is growing and constantly improving, and we are looking for a motivated and experienced lead data engineer.
· Be part of a team of data engineers responsible for data aggregation, transformation, modeling and delivery for both client usage and internal data science teams
· Full-stack design, development, and operation of core data capabilities like data lake, data warehouse, data marts and data pipelines
· Be part of owning the team's roadmap and project planning process, partnering with stakeholders to develop business objectives and translate those into action
· Accountability for one or more data assets
· Work with data architects to develop data flows and align to platform integration standards
· Build data flows for data acquisition, aggregation, and modeling, using both batch and streaming paradigms
· Consolidate/join datasets to create easily consumable, consistent, holistic information
· Empower other data teams, data scientists and data analysts to be as self-sufficient as possible by building core capabilities as services and developing reusable library code
· Ensure efficiency, quality, resiliency of the core data platform
· Data modeling and data governance experience or interest
· Cloud-oriented with understanding of SaaS models
· Experience operating in a secure networking environment, leveraging separate production support and SRE teams is a plus but not required
· You have a bias towards automation, an Agile/Lean mindset and embrace the Devops culture
· Exposure to AWS and other cloud technologies is a plus
· Familiarity with streaming/messaging technologies like Kafka, Kinesis, Spark Streaming is nice to have.
· Familiarity with visualizing data with Tableau, Business Objects, Quicksight, PowerBI and similar tools
· Great customer focus and strong technical troubleshooting skills
· Proficiency in statistics and data science is a nice-to-have, and interest in learning these is even better
· Excellent technical documentation and writing skills
· Ability to translate ideas into solutions based on user and business needs
Your Education & Experience:
· Undergraduate or graduate degree in a technical or scientific field, such as Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or similar
· 5+ years professional experience as a data engineer, software engineer, data analyst, data scientist, or related role
· Experience with wide variety of data stores including Relational (eg Oracle, SQL, MySQL), NoSQL (eg MongoDB, Cassandra), Graph/Triple (eg Neo4j, Neptune), Key-Val (eg Dynamo, Redis), Full-Text Search (eg Elasticsearch, Solr), Message Queue (eg Kafka, Kinesis)
· Analytically minded and detail-oriented: you actually like working with data, looking for patterns and outliers, establishing data models, and finding the best answers to business & technology problems
· Experience or exposure to data engineering languages such as Java, Scala, Python
· Experience with MySQL/Oracle is must.
· Experience or exposure to building ETL and data pipelines, both with traditional ETL solutions like Pentaho, SSIS, Talend but also via code-oriented systems like Spark, Airflow or similar is must.
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.