Staff Applications Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Medidata: Conquering Diseases Together
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of patients. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 1,400 customers and partners access the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com.
The Software Engineer Function is responsible for hands-on development of Medidata’s software applications. The Engineer is one who works very quickly to resolve high impact, challenging, engineering problems while continuously raising the standard of quality in our products and services in a full solutions-oriented SaaS environment.
- Review pull requests for functional aspects
- Perform local refactoring when making changes
- Contribute to continuous integration pipeline
- Contribute to addressing technical debt
- Participate in experimental changes to technical improvements arising from the retrospectives
- Modify and troubleshoot automated deployment implementation
- Access production monitoring
- Diagnose issues while dealing with initial uncertainty and incomplete information
- Identify root causes
- Create fixes with unit tests where appropriate
- Provide technical impact assessment
- Provide feedback on documentation
- Communicate personal and team activities to those outside the team, e.g. blog posts, presentations, stakeholder demos
- Attend company-organized meetups
- Attend all appropriate team meetings
- Provides estimates in backlog grooming
- Identify tasks in planning
- Contribute to scenario writing
- Actively contribute at retrospectives.
- Participate in experimental changes in organizational process arising from retrospectives.
- Apply simple platform design principles locally
- Extend service contracts
- Apply BDD/TDD. Apply simple patterns
- Be aware of the impact of design on performance, e.g. through algorithmic complexity, N+1 fetching, etc.
- Competent in tech stack of choice
- Deliver new areas of functionality
- Create unit tests and step definitions for test automation where appropriate
- Participate in experimental changes in implementation process arising from retrospectives
- Demonstrated expert-level experience in troubleshooting and debugging web server platforms, software, and code
- Sufficient prior background in web software development is necessary for the position
- Data querying abilities in SQL (MySQL)
- Constantly seeking to be an expert and takes pride in self-mastery and knowledge development. Quick learning and applied-knowledge capability
- Thrives in a team environment, and has strong people communication skills
- Enthusiastic and passionate about developing and improving products
- Have an innate ability for communicating very high level technical information to a non-technical audience, especially upper management and customer facing groups
- Able to use disparate pieces of information to drive investigation and problem solving. Especially in situations where there may not be very much information available on the problem, and you have to use your own creativity or teamwork to drive investigation and devise an appropriate fix
- Have Best-of-Breed problem solving abilities and enjoy crafting technical solutions that are business and customer driven
- Have the ability to plan, design and implement code fixes on multiple, unrelated sections of the codebase, and/ or different products altogether
- Take pride in knowing that the solutions you craft today are helping to develop new medicines that shape the world of tomorrow
- Must be a self-starter who can hit the ground running and be passionate about helping solve some of the most difficult engineering problems in our industry
Your Education & Experience:
- Typically requires a minimum of 3 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 1 years and a Master’s degree; or equivalent work experience
- Ruby or Rails experience is preferred
- Basic prior experience in working with cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services is preferred
- Basic understanding of Git and how it functions in a shared team development environment is great to have, and will serve you well in the position
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata Solutions have powered over 17,000+ clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.