Internal Communications Director
Medidata: Conquering Diseases Together
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences with the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial and real-world data. Powered by artificial intelligence and delivered by #1 ranked industry experts, the Intelligent Platform for Life Sciences helps pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device companies and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk and optimize outcomes. Medidata serves more than 1,000 customers and partners worldwide and empowers more than 100,000 certified users every day to create hope for millions of patients. Discover the future of life sciences: www.mdsol.com
We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.
The Internal Communications Director will lead a program which ensures employees across Medidata are kept informed and excited with our strategy, initiatives and company news. Communications will take place over several channels, such as our internal portal, emails, blogs, regular newsletters and conferences. This individual will work closely with senior executives, HR and corporate communications teams.
- Proactively lead and execute internal communications projects and campaigns that align with, articulate and support the company's key messages, business priorities and growth initiatives, as well as influence a positive culture and engaged workforce.
- Thought leader with experience in creating change and communications strategies; develops the engagement and communication strategy, and execution plans, in an environment of continual change.
- Lead internal content strategy, editorial plans, storytelling and information for internal channels in conjunction with senior executives.
- Creatively conceive and lead communication programs and content strategy across multiple channels: intranet/online, multimedia, video, print, newsletter, conferences, kick-off meetings and thematic events.
- Understand employee perceptions and advocate for plans to improve teamwork, collaboration and team spirit.
- Constantly strive to improve the internal communications practice by identifying more efficient and effective ways by challenging processes and recommending new approaches.
- Develop messaging for topics including policy, culture, initiatives and other areas of strategic corporate significance as directed by executive leaders.
- Work directly with executives and business leaders to identify needs, objectives and strategies to create effective and meaningful communications, including scripts, speeches, and presentations.
- Handle the internal communication response to crisis situations which affect organizational perception and reputation.
- Ensure organizational initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to employees and stakeholders.
- Create an open forum for employees to ask questions and share content or thoughts. Respond to feedback from staff and adjust communications content accordingly.
- Write speeches, messages or presentations for senior executives to their organizations or the entire company.
- Ensure internal communications messages are consistent across all mediums and for different departments of the organization with external communication messages.
- Ability to lead communications strategy while paying close attention to details and managing complex campaigns.
- Great relationship-building skills and the ability to work within a team environment across different time zones.
- Exceptional interviewing, copy-writing and editing skills.
- Excellent presentation skills – personal delivery and ability to lead and coach people and teams.
- Effective listening, problem-solving and counseling skills; ability to build alignment to shared vision.
- Proven change management communication skills.
- Solid project, time and budget management skills essential.
- Flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work autonomously and act independently.
- Digital expert familiar with information technology, especially digital and video means of communication, is essential.
Your Education & Experience:
- Requires a minimum of 10 years of experience in a communications team, especially internal communication, for a large organization, is most sought after.
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in journalism, communications, public relations or marketing. A Master’s degree is a plus.
- Experience in writing for a variety of different audiences is also desired. General journalistic or marketing experience is beneficial.
- Prior management of complex projects and advising senior managers is also required
- Understanding the life sciences industry is a plus
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.