Lead Application Engineer - Scala
Medidata (www.mdsol.com) is leading the digital transformation of life sciences with the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial and real-world data. Powered by artificial intelligence, our Intelligent Platform for Life Sciences helps pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device companies accelerate value, minimize risk and optimize outcomes throughout the life-cycle of a clinical trial.
To understand more on our mission and what inspires us, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLXoYeDi2rE
Staff (Lead) Applications Engineers are focused on a team's execution in order to satisfy customer and business requirements. They have an intimate understanding of how customers use their product, and whilst not man-managers, they organize engineers on a team, guiding people in their tasks and managing integrated design components, to deliver service-level epics on time and to specification.
- Drives technical decision making, with engineering managers and architects, that affect complex systems and mission-critical areas.
- Consistently delivers code that sets the standard for quality and maintainability by following coding best practices, using patterns wherever possible, coding for extensibility, and writing in supportability (i.e. logging, monitoring, profiling tools, etc.).
- Demonstrates deep understanding of the solution's entire architecture, systematically thinking through potential design impacts to other teams and the company.
- Demonstrates a holistic and strategic mindset when developing and designing new modules, products, services, and resources. Focuses on the big technical picture.
- Explores technologies impacting their entire product, service, team, or department.
- Is responsible for successfully planning and executing projects involving multiple developers and complex requirements, prioritizing strategically.
- Helps define the technical roadmap for a service or suite of services and sets the vision for long-term projects by designing for scale and reliability with the regulatory environment and business's long-term vision in mind.
- Understands long-term business context for the project and uses this understanding to plan and prioritize the backlog with Product Management.
- Identifies and advocates for resources needed by their team.
- Sought out as mentor and provider of technical guidance and coaching.
- Motivates, empowers, and enables teammates to achieve higher level of performance.
- Contributes meaningful input to hiring decisions.
Outstanding software engineering DNA, as outlined in the details above including proven, successful and deep exposure to Scala or other functional programming technologies.
Experience in micro-services architecture
Experience and opinion on TDD, BDD and mocking frameworks
Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree; or a Master’s degree; or equivalent work experience
Medidata London Engineering Team
You will be part of a c.120 strong SaaS Technology production environment. In London we own the engineering for an enterprise scale software platform that supports thousands of clinical trials every day. It's rare that ownership for this scale of cloud software engineering production exists outside the US.
Introduction to our Product & The Challenge:
Site Monitoring is a sub project of Medidata Rave CTMS - https://www.medidata.com/en/products/ctms. The platform provides efficient monitoring of clinical studies with integrated workflows. It improves the Contract Research Associate experience, aids pro-active decision making, and reduces risk and costs, to increase study performance, patient safety, and time to market for the drug/device. Put another way, it’s saving lives.
Just over a year ago we moved into purpose built offices high above the skyline of Hammersmith, just 60 seconds walk from the tube. You will enjoy modern workspaces and a culture that is mission driven, collaborative and fun!
- Base salary - to be honest there's a range here, if we’re a good match for you and vice versa, we’ll try and make it work!
- 10% bonus
- Other benefits include a great pension, free private health and dental care for you + family, 25 days holiday + many other enterprise grade perks.
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
MDSOL Europe Ltd is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applications irrespective of race, gender, gender reassignment, age, religion or belief, relationship status, pregnancy/maternity, sexual orientation or disability.