EMEA Senior Database Engineer
Medidata: Conquering Diseases Together
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences with the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial and real-world data. Powered by artificial intelligence and delivered by #1 ranked industry experts, the Intelligent Platform for Life Sciences helps pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device companies and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk and optimize outcomes. Medidata serves more than 1,000 customers and partners worldwide and empowers more than 100,000 certified users every day to create hope for millions of patients. Discover the future of life sciences: www.mdsol.com
We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.
The EMEA Senior Database Engineer is responsible for supporting and coordinating database activities Medidata. This includes running scripts, database tuning, monitoring, backup and recovery, resolving complex client related problems, monitoring all database related work orders in a timely manner.
- Responsible for the overall performance, tuning, backup/recovery of on- premise and AWS/ Azure MSSQL Server (2008, 2014, 2016) databases
- Verify and Run scripts written by programmers in PRODUCTION, UAT and DEV environment
- Diagnose and resolve production problems
- Proactive Maintenance and Monitoring of Instances of MSSQL 2008, 2014, 2016.
- In a team environment, successfully test and deploy database schema.
- Work closely with R&D to identify any possible performance bottlenecks
- Plan and implement database upgrades as needed
- SQL security planning; maintaining and creating user accounts for proper access; SQL Agent job scheduling and monitoring; SQL/Server system tables; SQL Profiler and Enterprise Manager; and Server monitoring to ensure adequate CPU, disk space, and memory on all SQL servers
- Write custom scripts to automate various daily DBA operations
- Adhere to and suggest improvements to the Change Management Process
- Work closely with other IT team members to successfully maintain and monitor the SQL servers.
- Document and improve existing processes
- Interface with Medidata Professional and Technical Services to ensure client requests are handled in a timely manner
- Provide 24 x 7 production support on a rotating basis
- Essential demonstration of skills as a database administration professional for both on-premise and cloud-based database technologies
- Experience monitoring and troubleshooting database maintenance (e.g., indexes, statistics, and disaster recovery) required
- Experience managing disaster recovery process for database preferred
- Experience in performance tuning and query optimization (e.g., profiler, perfmon, dmv’s) required
- Experience scripting with PowerShell preferred
Your Education & Experience:
- Relevant degree preferred
- 5+ years SQL experience required
- AWS Cloud and Industry knowledge preferred (EC2, RDS, S3, CloudWatch)
- Certifications preferred (e.g., MCSA Database Administration, MCSE: Data Management, AWS Foundational)
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
MDSOL Europe Ltd is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applications irrespective of race, gender, gender reassignment, age, religion or belief, relationship status, pregnancy/maternity, sexual orientation or disability.