Business Director - DFS + Army
MediaCom – Business Director - DFS & Army
Overview of job
We are looking for a Business Director to lead the team across DFS and the British Army.
DFS is one of MediaCom’s largest, longest serving and most awarded clients. A truly famous British brand who is this year embarking on a programme of transformational change across the organisation. The Business Director is a critical appointment and can expect to be a key part of the team that helps DFS deliver that change.
The British Army is arguably the most respect armed force in the world. Our role is to work with the Recruiting Group (Capita) to provide strategic comms planning to aid the recruitment of new soldiers and officers. This is a unique chance to work in an unusual sector and make a tangible difference to the UK.
Both brands are highly regarded, both won IPA gold in 2018
The role will involve leading and having full responsibility of this team, working with creative agency partners and the client teams to drive comms strategy, implementation and business results.
Reporting of the role
This role reports directly in to the client Partner for DFS Group, The Army, Shell, and a range of other clients. Such is the profile of DFS that MediaCom’s CEO is also heavily involved in the leadership of the account.
3 best things about the job:
- A unique opportunity to work on two amazing brands.
- A transformational time for DFS as the seek to move away from the “always on sale” perception.
- Working at London’s biggest and most successful agency – MediaCom was named the Agency Network of the Year by WARC in 2019
Measures of success
In 3 months, you would have:
- Become the lead senior contact for the designated client portfolio
- Become an expert in DFS and the Army, Retail and Armed Forces Recruitment categories
- Build strong relationships with both clients, their wider cross-agency networks and internal stakeholders.
In 6 months, you would have:
- Become the trusted strategic partner for senior clients
- Identified commercial opportunities for client and agency benefit
In 12 months, you would have:
- Led a full annual planning cycle, with end to end development, execution and analysis of best in class work
- Support the client Partner in creating client growth plans
Responsibilities of the role:
- Lead planning, delivery and account management contact for clients
- Holistic management and leadership of all aspects of agency output for your clients to ensure seamless execution of campaigns
- Identify revenue opportunities and drive profitability
- Line management and development of Associate Director
What you will need:
- Excellent client facing ability to both work with your clients and offer appropriate and challenging thought leadership
- Strong experience and knowledge of the full comms planning process and day-to-day planning and buying
- Ability to balance the need for long term strategic thinking with the need to deliver and get things done in the short term
- Experienced in getting the best out of inter-agency working
- Lead client meetings
- Gain the respect and trust of all relevant client personnel by demonstrating knowledge, commitment and enthusiasm for their business
- Lead the team of AD, 1 AM, 1 Senior Planner and 1 Planner. Plus the extended team of specialists.
- Advanced commercial acumen and ability to identify revenue opportunities and drive profitability including cost control
- A one MediaCom mentality, contributing to the upskilling and welfare of not only your team but the wider business
- Ability to deal with the most senior and demanding clients with exceptional influencing and negotiation skills, calm under pressure
MediaCom is “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes.
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. Its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, GlaxoSmithKline, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
MediaCom was named Campaign’s Agency of the Decade and received top marks in its 2016 School Report.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MediaComUK
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mediacomuk/?hl=en