Welcome innovators, initiative takers and instigators.
We are 8,500 of the world’s leading media communications specialists, in 125 offices, across 100 countries.
We have a global client roster that’s the envy of our peers. Adidas, Coca-Cola, Mars, P&G, PSA, Richemont, Shell and Sony to name but a few.
We help brands unlock growth through media. We do this using our Systems Thinking approach to data, technology and creativity and design communication strategies that build brands and generate sales. We’re part of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, which gives us access to the richest data sets and most robust benchmarks in the business.
All this has helped us become the first network to hold the big six Media Network of the Year titles concurrently.
But the real secret to our success is simple (and not really a secret). It’s our People First, Better Results philosophy.
We know that when we invest in our people, we’ll deliver better results not only for them, but also for our clients.
We also know that talent comes in all shapes, sizes, genders and ethnicities. That’s why our agencies are open environments that celebrate difference.
Do you want to work with smart, creative, enthusiastic people? So do we.
Welcome to MediaCom
GroupM is the world’s leading media investment management operation. It serves as the parent company to WPP media agencies MediaCom, MindShare, Essence, Wavemaker, and MSix.
Its primary purpose is to maximise the performance of WPP’s media communications agencies on behalf of our clients, our shareholders and our people by operating as a parent and collaborator in performance-enhancing activities such as trading, content creation, sports, digital, finance, proprietary tool development and other business-critical capabilities. The agencies that comprise GroupM are all Regional operations with leading market positions.
The focus of GroupM is the intelligent application of physical and intellectual scale to benefit trading, innovation, and new communication services, to bring unfair competitive advantage to our clients and our companies.
About the team and/or clients
Shell is a long-standing MediaCom client (20+ years), and following a competitive global pitch in 2018, we successfully defended and strengthened our relationship; we have responsibility for global media planning and buying across the entire Shell business worldwide, in approx. 40 markets.
We work across every aspect of the Shell business, from fuels, to retail, to motor oil, to brand reputation, to energy innovation initiatives such as Shell Eco-marathon, Nature Based Solutions and Make The Future Live. Our work on Shell has garnered over 50 industry awards in the last 5 years, including Cannes Lions, Festival of Media Global, M&M Global and World Media Awards.
The Shell business is led from our London office, by a global account leadership team, with key regional hubs in Singapore and New York. We work directly with Shell’s global media and marcomms leadership teams, based in London.
The team & department
The global Shell team at MediaCom leads global media strategy development, account management, data and analytics application, and performance reporting.
We refer to the global Shell team as a Network of Excellence, with leadership distributed across key regions and markets, in areas such as data and analytics (London), cultural analysis and insight (Singapore), and e-commerce (China).
We are looking for a skilled and motivated Associate Strategy Director/Strategy Director, with a proven track record of data-driven insight generation, and outstanding business-focussed communications planning across multi-market campaigns, generating measurable and tangible growth to client business.
The Global Associate Strategy Director will work directly with the strategy and account leadership teams on Shell in London.
Our 5 Cs for strategy talent
Demonstrates genuine intellectual curiosity around the wider world
Demonstrates the ability to challenge in a positive manner and stick with the fight
Demonstrates the ability to create the ideas and create the environment for ideas that drive our business
Demonstrates evidence of mastery of key subject matters and the gravitas to convince
Demonstrates the flexibility and ability to work well with different people in different ways
General tasks & responsibilities
- Develop a forensic understanding of relevant first and third-party data, applicable to strategy development
- Build robust measurement and accountability recommendations within strategic recommendations, including identification of primary KPIs and campaign target setting
- Foster strong global and regional client relationships; become a trusted strategic advisor for the client media and marketing teams at a senior level
- Champion the business value of media planning with our clients; seek opportunities to showcase and highlight the positive growth impact of MediaCom’s strategy development and leadership on our clients’ business
- Keep abreast of industry developments, whether in the communications industry or the client business, which will impact future strategy development
- Work collaboratively with a wide range of partner agencies across multiple disciplines; ensure that strong communications planning is at the heart of all cross-agency proposals and recommendations
- Deliver central media strategy guidelines for key brand and product campaigns, incorporating smart audience and media analysis
- Work with central account teams to develop media implementation guidelines, to enable brilliant local planning
- Develop a strong, informed POV about the client’s overall brand activity and communications plan across paid, owned and earned channels
- Clear understanding of strategic planning requirements across the Shell and Reebok businesses
- Proactive management of line managers/MediaCom global leadership teams, to ensure effective deployment of resource across accounts for key strategic projects
- Identify relevant specialist resource requirements throughout MediaCom, to enable delivery of brilliant communications planning
- Provide internal thought leadership and seek out inspiration from the outside world, to enhance the strategic planning capabilities of the wider account teams
- Comfortable, confident and assertive working with senior global clients and agency partners
- Highly collaborative
- Calm and measured under pressure
- Ambitious & independent, willing to take proactive ownership of projects and challenges
- Ability and desire to ‘own the room’ – a confident, authoritative and engaging presenter
- Communicates with authority and gravitas
- Motivated and enthusiastic
- 7+ years relevant industry experience, with 4+ years in a dedicated media or communications strategy role
- Competence with relevant planning tools and resources eg TGI, Touchpoints, WARC, GWI, Google Analytics
- Previous experience working on global/multi-market accounts, working with multi-disciplinary agencies (i.e. creative, digital, PR, POS) and with local market teams
- Experience in working with market research, media and client data to identify audience insights and communications opportunities which deliver client growth
- Excellent written & verbal English language skills
- Organised and structured, with strong attention to detail; effective and efficient working style
- High level of competence with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Demonstrable record of strategic accomplishment – new business success, positive client feedback, award recognition
- Degree in a relevant business, marketing or communications discipline
- Relevant industry planning accreditation eg IPA/APG recognition