Business Development Director
Business Development Director
MediaCom is the UK’s largest agency with over $2bn of billings across 5 offices (London, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds and Edinburgh). Our client list includes some of the UK’s most well-known and well-loved brands such as Tesco, DFS, Direct Line as well as some of the world’s most prestigious ones like Coke, Mars and LVMH.
The Business Development team is integral to the growth of our business. As such, it is fast paced, challenging and offers people the chance to experience all facets of MediaCom whilst having a significant impact on growth for the business.
It is our role to drive growth through all key levers from additional services and new client prospects through to ensuring we maximise retention when those pitches arise. Our responsibility is to manage the pitch processes ensuring that MediaCom pitches effectively to new clients and prospects
The Business Development Director will lead on the pitches from the London office and play a lead role in ensuring that MediaCom maximises both pitch win and retention rates to drive headline business growth.
They will work closely with the regional business development leads in both Edinburgh and Manchester to share learning and ensure a one MediaCom approach. This role is supported by an Associate Director, Project Manager and Senior Executive alongside the wider design team in the UK.
Who does the role report into?
The role will report into the Managing Partner. James Hyams
What are the three best things about the job?
- The opportunity to work with a variety of projects with a wide range of teams across the business whilst getting involved in the biggest and most important pitches for Mediacom in the UK.
- New business is where we get to test out our latest thinking in a high-pressure situation, it often leads to the development of our best ideas and approaches to planning and is a chance to see some amazing work at first hand
- New Business goes hand in hand with Marketing and developing our approach to new business with key stakeholders gives a bigger perspective across the agency and indeed the wider group
- End to end running of a pitch process from RFI, to intermediary management, pitch design and internal set up as well as the final presentation and response.
- Project management of prospecting with key planning leads
- Work alongside the Business Development Associate Director on the management of all creds documents, across all MediaCom disciplines, ensuring we have the latest case studies, tool details/summaries, discipline examples and best work to share in pitch processes
- Support the Managing Partner in the largest pitch processes by leading on individual elements of that process, taking ownership of all deliverables and managing the wider stakeholders
- Oversee the team on collation of RFI materials and ensure that all information is correct and signed off by the relevant stakeholder
- Work closely with regional business development leads to ensure a coordinated approach to pitches and how we organise pitch resource across the business
- Work with design and production to develop high quality pitch ready artwork and video content for written responses and final pitch presentations
What are the measures of success?
- You are able to effectively input and shape the pitch output working with design and the client teams to deliver exceptional quality pitch output giving MediaCom the best chance of winning pitches for both new clients and additional services
- You are trusted by senior stakeholders to run a pitch process, working collaboratively with the relevant pitch leads to ensure all deadlines are managed proactively and all material finalised on time
- You can run a smooth and positive pitch process, keeping wider stakeholders informed and the teams focused and motivated
What would you expect to achieve in the first three months?
- Have run a high-profile pitch process working with the Managing Partner / Exco lead to ensure a smooth and effective pitch process
- Worked with the Managing Partner to identify and kick off key prospecting opportunities
- Helped build out the Business Development library of case studies and examples – working with the wider team to develop an approach to how we capture
What will you need?
The most important attributes we are recruiting this role on are organisation, enthusiasm for new business, attitude and values.
- Significant Marketing, and/or Media Agency experience
- Excellent project management and capable of managing multiple projects with competing priorities at one
- Positive, can-do attitude and ability to keep teams motivated whilst working with them
- Proactive, flexible and organised
- Strong attention to detail and a drive to win and to always improve
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills
- Mature, calm and confident when communicating to all levels, both inside and outside of the business
- Ability to work independently and manage a team to deliver within tight time frames
At MediaCom, we believe in People First, Better Results.
MediaCom is the UK’s largest planning and buying agency, with over 1,400 employees based in five offices in London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
As a business, we champion individuality and diversity in our people. Through a plethora of initiatives, we ensure that we attract and retain the greatest talent in the industry, all working together to create powerful, ground-breaking work through our unique, connected Systems Thinking approach. Our teams use data, technology and creativity to design communications strategies that build brands and generate sales, and we do it at scale. We believe that putting people first produces better results.
We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training, development plans and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
MediaCom represents some of the greatest brands in the UK and beyond, both big and small. These include Sky, British Gas, Sony, Vauxhall, DFS, TUI, The Coca-Cola Company and Tesco.
MediaCom is Campaign’s Agency of the Decade (2009 and 2019), and WARC’s most effective agency in the world.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*