UK Commercial Manager
Commercial Manager, UK
Overview of role
The Commercial Manager role sits within the UK commercial team and report to the UK Commercial Director, working closely with UK CCFO and the agency’s client teams. This is an exciting role with great potential to develop your commercial acumen and business partnering skills. The role will provide support to the UK Commercial Director in managing some of MediaCom’s UK clients’ relationships and new business pitches. You will be the commercial lead and point of contact for a roster of UK and global clients and will work closely with the Commercial Director to help build profitable long-term client relationships and ensuring MediaCom meets all its contractual obligations to clients. You will need good communication and interspersal skill to build strong relationships with the global, regional, and local stakeholders in MediaCom, GroupM and other group agencies
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the UK Commercial Director
3 best things about the job
- Interact with the wider business at every level
- Improve business and commercial acumen
- Work with some of the world’s biggest brands
Measures of success
In three months, you would have:
- Built lasting relationships with business and Client Leads, heads of specialised units and the wider finance and global commercial team to set yourself up for success
In six months, you would have:
- Continued building relationship with all stakeholders and start taking the lead in a roster of client with support from the Commercial Director
In 12 months, you would have:
- Take full ownership of a roster of clients, manage pitches and be ready to manage a commercial analyst
Responsibilities of the role
- Work with & support Commercial Director with collection, consolidation and review of remuneration and other commercial elements for major global, regional and UK commercial pitch proposals
- As knowledge of business develops, manage and take the lead on pitches
- Support Commercial Director with new client transition management ensuring new client are effectively onboarded in accordance with the agreed commercial terms
- Support Legal & Business Affairs Director with new client contract negotiation
- Liaise with key stakeholders throughout the UK agency to prepare commercial proposals for new business and out of scope fee proposals
- Collaborate with heads of Social, Search, Biddable and all specialist units in pricing one-off projects
- Collaborate with the Global Commercial team on global pitches
- Be a business partner in providing commercial insight and support to client leads
- Work closely with Business Group Heads and client leads to help improve margin and profitability at both client and business unit levels
- Work closely with client leads and wider finance team when new clients are being onboarded, ensuring compliance, financial best practice and that we can maintain financial health in these crucial early months
- Have regular catch ups with Client Leads to understand causes of overservicing and advise on corrective actions.
- Collaborate with Resource Management in understanding resource need and ensuring new requests for hire have a justifiable business case
- Provide regular training to the business in helping to improve their commercial knowledge and understanding
- Maintain the UK Commercial Terms ensuring it is updated on regular basis and distributed to Exco/Business Group Head
- Support Commercial Director in (Re)negotiation of contracts and terms of business which reflect scope of work and ensure profitability
- Utilise client profitability to identify potential areas of improvement, supporting client growth plan process
- Ad hoc special project work and implementation of best practice measures
Existing clients – Compliance:
Working with compliance team responsible for:
- Collaborate with the compliance team to ensure compliance with client contracts, the relevant opt-ins are obtained, and that clients are notified as per contract via correct disclosure on the media plans / briefings etc
- Supporting the compliance team in management of contract compliance audits with third party auditors
- Support Commercial Director in dealing with contract compliance / legal disputes and liaising with internal / external advisors
What you will need
- Qualified accountant with two to three years post qualification experience (e.g., ACA, ACCA) ideally from an accounting practice
- A commercial partner to the business Heads and client Leads, demonstrating a gravitas and clarity of approach that can be successfully communicated to the company stakeholders
- An ability to help design clear process delivery and to help facilitate effective change
- Collaborative team player, relationship builder with a can-do attitude, lots of energy and drive required
- Highly self-motivated, flexible and possess a high level of initiative. Takes ownership of issues and personal development
- Ability to prioritise and complete tasks to deadlines
MediaCom is “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes.
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. In addition to LBG its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, Direct Line Group, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives, and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
In June 2018 Mediacom went through a restructure that resulted in the agency being put into seven Business Units made up of billings between £100m-£250m, consisting of a mix of different sized accounts. Within these Business Units there are a range of teams from buying (marketplace) implementation planning (connect) and planning. This reorganisation has helped to improve service to clients by becoming more agile and integrated, made it easier for everyone to do their jobs and has given people more opportunity to learn different skills and grow their career. This role sits in Business Unit 7, headed up by one of the Managing Partners, Mark Wallace.
MediaCom was named Campaign’s Agency of the Decade and received top marks in its 2016 School Report. MediaCom also won Agency of the Year at the Media Week Awards 2018.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MediaComUK
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mediacomuk/?hl=en
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*