Overview of role
We are looking for a multiskilled junior designer and visual artist (role title ‘Designer’), to undertake all forms of design, illustration and occasional video editing for the Creative Systems team in the UK.
This is a critical hire for MediaCom, the UK’s largest media agency. Creative Systems is the newly relaunched creative and partnerships team (formerly MediaCom Beyond Advertising) now with Stef Calcraft, founding partner at Mother, at the helm globally. Our London-based team is the biggest in the network, with a long heritage of award-winning work in areas such as ad-funded TV shows, experiential, social content, influencer marketing, addressable advertising as well as brand and media partnerships. Our clients include Sky, Coca-Cola, Adidas, Hasbro, Lloyds Banking Group, Tesco, PlayStation and Direct Line Group amongst many others.
The role will sit within a small team of specialist and dedicated creatives, led by the ECD and CD. This team receives and responds to creative briefs, dedicating much time to idea development. The designer role will therefore be very focused on assisting the ideation process, and, most importantly, visualising the ideas in Photoshop or as illustrations for them to be presenting back to clients.
Additionally, the creative team oversees the delivery of certain projects. Although many campaigns are executed through external partners (often the creative and production teams within media owner partnerships departments) we’ll nonetheless require art direction in certain social content and partnership campaigns.
Reporting of the role
You will report into the Senior Creative and work alongside a Creative.
3 best things about the job
- For the right candidate, this will be a hugely rewarding and varied role, with the opportunity to use your design, Photoshop and illustration skills across many different projects.
- Creative Systems, the team you’ll work in, is a real focal point for MediaCom, with a diverse set of brilliantly talented, driven, but very friendly people.
- MediaCom has the best client list in London. You’ll be working on projects for the pick of the brands we work for.
Measures of success
- The key ambition is to build our income and range of projects for clients. Our aim will be for you to have helped sell in some of our brilliant ideas through the fantastic visuals that you created for us.
Responsibilities of the role
Critical tasks will include:
- Mocking-up / visualising ideas across all media (inc. OOH special builds, AV formats, experiential, influencer concepts etc) – usually sourcing stock imagery and adapting in Photoshop.
- Designing social and digital formats, including simple UX of apps and interfaces, and addressable creative.
- Scamping i.e. illustrating more complex ideas where Photoshopped imagery isn’t suitable This could also include storyboarding AV treatments. (We need an all-rounder who can design as well as draw.)
- Designing PowerPoint decks. (We recognise this is not a core requirement for similar roles in other organisations, but it’s an important task we sometimes need doing.)
- Pulling together mood boards.
- Occasional video editing.
- Involvement in creative idea development.
What you will need
We’re looking for someone who loves designing stuff, coming up with ideas, and creating content. We’d love to think that our successful candidate is passionate about advertising and loves social media, and spends their spare time creating stuff for their own social channels. We’re not looking for someone with loads of followers, but we are interested in someone who can show they have ideas and know how to express them.
Other important requirements:
- Excellent Adobe Creative Cloud skills – especially Photoshop.
- The ability to illustrate/scamp ideas.
- A real drive and passion to help develop and visualise award-winning ideas for our clients.
- A team player, someone who is collaborative and expressive with their craft
- A great portfolio of work to support the application.
- Relevant experience in a similar role or a sustained period of freelancing would be useful.
MediaCom unleashes brands’ growth by helping them See the Bigger Picture. This means that we apply our unique ‘Systems Thinking’ philosophy and technology to all marketing levers: media, message and data. As a result, we design communication strategies that deliver short term results and help brands build for the future.
As part of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm, we have access to the richest data, most robust benchmarks and most advanced capabilities in the market. This helps us provide comprehensive solutions to all marketing challenges.
Our success is underpinned by our long-standing ‘People First, Better Results’ culture. We know that by investing in our people’s whole-person wellbeing, careers and capabilities, we will help grow our clients’ businesses.
In 2021 this approach led MediaCom to be crowned Global Media Network of the Year by Adweek and Festival of Media Global, in addition to being Eurobest’s current Media Network of the Year and the most awarded agency at the WARC Media Awards.
MediaCom is one of the world’s leading media communications specialists, with billings of US$17.6 billion (Source: COMvergence, 2020), employing 8,000 people in 125 offices across 100 countries. Its global client roster includes adidas, Coca-Cola (TCCC), Dell, Hasbro, Mars, NBC Universal, P&G, Richemont, Shell, Sony, Uber and Walgreens Boots Alliance.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.com
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*