Chief Strategy Officer
Job Title: Chief Strategy Officer (Joint)
Reporting to: CEO
MediaCom is the UK’s largest media agency with billings in excess of £1.4bn and clients and teams across five office locations. We are growing at pace and on the back of our best year ever in 2021, we are scaling up our strategic leadership. The scale of our operation in the U.K. is such that we require a duo in strategic leadership to service our existing and extensive client base whilst continuing to deliver on our growth ambitions.
As part of our ongoing growth strategy and to ensure we deliver market leading solutions for our clients, we are looking to expand our strategic leadership by appointing an additional Chief Strategy Officer to partner with and work alongside our current CSO. Working alongside our existing CSO you will be responsible for accelerating and elevating our strategic planning work on key clients and new business conversion. You will also have a specific focus on ensuring our data strategy is market leading and fuels our planning systems to drive growth for clients. We are looking for someone who can use data in imaginative ways to drive compelling insights and create ground-breaking work.
Reporting to the CEO, you will be a key player in our EXCO leadership team with responsibility for both existing key clients and new business opportunities across all of our MediaCom UK offices (five in total). You will have extensive experience of producing industry first, winning ideas and be seen as an expert in your field. As an industry renowned thought leader you will be a magnet for attracting and retaining both talent and clients.
Our planning and strategy community consists of 16 senior Strategists, and a wider planning community of over 250 people, across 5 offices (London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh), and you will Co-Lead the strategy discipline, ensuring skills and capabilities of our planning teams keep pace with market advancements and align with the needs of our clients. You will split the workload with our existing CSO and have a UK wide remit.
We are looking for someone with a strong interest in digital and/or data, giving you the ability to work with Senior Data Leadership within MediaCom, GroupM and WPP, to build a market leading agency narrative that puts MediaCom at the forefront of data and audience planning.
The ideal candidate is hungry, brave and focused and able to collaborate successfully with our most senior leaders in the organisation and drive the best possible outcome for both existing and prospective clients.
You will excel and thrive on understanding both existing and prospective clients’ businesses, and you are skilled at working out exactly how we can add value to our clients and tell a story about how we can accelerate growth in a way that is compelling. Smart utilisation of data is core to this.
In line with our people first philosophy, it’s critical that you enjoy working as part of a team, are a good collaborator, enjoy communicating with and motivating people as well as being passionate about creating opportunities for our talent.
What you will be doing
· Partner with the existing CSO to raise the floor and ceiling for our work and creativity and performance in awards – especially in the area of technology and smart data utilisation. This is a key relationship that will jointly drive the agency’s offering forward.
· Work across key clients to deliver strategies to drive growth and transformation for their business, with clients likely to be divided between the two joint CSOs
· Work with our Head of Data and Head of Planning to ensure our data proposition and utilisation is market leading and fuels our planning systems to drive growth for clients
· Innovate and drive NPD in the area of planning and strategy, including new tools and approaches
· Support our Head of Planning who has been tasked to organise our tools and capability into a compelling and coherent narrative to drive growth
· Partner with Chief Growth Officer and other senior leaders across the business to create and convert new business opportunities. Specifically, ensuring we have compelling, industry leading and most importantly winning ideas and strategies to ensure we are in the best possible position going into any pitch.
· Raise MediaCom’s profile in the industry for planning and brilliant creative work
· Help to craft our story to ensure we deliver our global vision of seeing the bigger picture, simplifying our narrative and nomenclature around tools/products and rolling this out across our clients and in new business.
· Work with GroupM’s Chief Product Officer and MediaCom’s Head of Data to create and roll out a market leading OS for MediaCom which utilises data in imaginative ways to drive growth for clients.
· Work with our global MediaCom team to ensure global MediaCom planning tools are adopted and widely used in the agency
· Work with CSO to ensure GroupM tools are fit for purpose for Mediacom’s clients and new business pitches as well as working with the Head of Planning to drive adoption and roll out of our tools and capability across the business
· Accelerate the use of the best-in-class planning tools from across WPP/ GroupM to quickly scale data planning across the agency
Our Ideal Candidate
· The ability to build and develop trusted client relationships all the way up to the C-suite.
· A team player with the ability to get things done through collaboration, influence and accountability.
· Excellent storytelling capability
· Gravitas and credibility to command a room and influence key senior stakeholders, including a strong ability to lead pitch strategy and narrative
· Relentless desire to create excellent work without compromise
· Strategic thinking and analytical skills combined with curiosity to elevate the work
· Ability to lead, build and inspire a team
· To hold opinions and be comfortable with driving and owning uncomfortable change
· Strong influencing and negotiating skills with experience of managing multiple stakeholders in a matrix organisation
· An expert in simplifying complex challenges and identifying solutions which make a meaningful difference to clients’ businesses.
· Positive attitude, a calm head and provide direction, especially during challenging circumstances