Senior Associate Director - AV
Senior Associate Director - AV
Overview of role
MediaCom handles the media planning and buying for some of the world's smartest advertisers. Supported by keen consumer insight, analysis and experience, we are part of the largest media planning and buying network in the world.
We are the only agency to simultaneously hold the title of Agency Network of the Year across all 5 of the industry’s biggest awards, whilst recently being named Campaign’s Media Agency of the Decade.
We are looking for a diligent AV Senior AD with extensive experience in TV planning and buying and has knowledge across other AV channels such as Online Video, Addressable TV, OOH TV, Cinema and Radio, so they are equipped to work on some of the UK’s biggest and most forward-thinking advertisers – Tesco, CRUK and Indeed.
You will have the opportunity to be involved in innovative, ground-breaking work, particular on Tesco, where the team have won multiple awards for their AV planning.
A key part of your role will be ensuring the delivery of guarantees across all the clients in the Business Unit. Extensive experience of working and negotiating with auditors is essential to this role.
You will be responsible for managing your clients, developing your team and working with the other Senior ADs in the Unit to manage the shape of the team, provide leadership and direction for each of the AV specialists in the team.
Reporting of the role
This role is one of three Senior Associate Director roles within one of MediaCom’s internal Business Units. The role reports to the Investment Lead, who you will work closely with to ensure the smooth running of the team and delivery of client guarantees. You will also work closely with the relevant Trading Heads regarding value management, quality and channel coordination.
3 best things about the job
1. MediaCom’s strength has always been our people. This team really reflects that. We’re a tight team working to deliver great data-led work to our clients
2. A widely varied client base makes for a great place to grow your career as it gives everyone in the team a real breadth of experience
3.An extremely supportive and encouraging leadership team that puts their team’s development first
Measures of success
In three months, you would have:
- Built a strong working relationship with the other Senior AV ADs within the group. This will be key – you will be pivotal in creating the right environment for all our planner-buyers to develop, grow and create great work
- Gained a good understanding of the client businesses which you will oversee
- Overseen the delivery of all AV plans and responses on time and without errors
- Have a solid grasp of all the commercial aspects of your role (clients’ businesses and ours
In six months, you would have:
- Built strong working relationships with all key stakeholders internally and externally – this includes key client contacts, Comms Planners and Investment Leads within our Business Unit
In 12 months, you would have:
- Delivered demonstrable revenue growth within your group of clients
- Nurtured a happy and motivated team of AV specialists who have a vision for how their careers can grow
Responsibilities of the role
- The Senior Associate Director has responsibility for both the development and quality of output for every member of their team. They must ensure that the team is motivated, challenged and given the right opportunities to develop their video and multimedia knowledge – understanding the role of all AV channels, how they interlink and the role that they can play in a wider multimedia system. A key part of this is regular, honest, and structured feedback about every element of their behaviour and performance. You are responsible for their personal development and progression, working with the Investment Lead.
- The Senior Associate Director will be responsible for owning the client relationship when it comes to AV. They will be viewed by the client as an AV expert who has an authoritative opinion on both their plans and the wider media market.
- The Senior AD also works with clients and Business Directors to uncover business opportunities that exist outside of – or in conjunction with – ongoing media planning/buying activity. With an AV-specific focus, the Senior AD aims to work with and improve the connected system planning process by uncovering new and innovative areas for clients to focus on.
- Client education and thought leadership is a core part of the role: developing a deep understanding of your clients’ business objectives and problems will be essential.
What you will need
- Detailed knowledge of the wider business, each division including the benefits and key role they play in making MediaCom a leader
- High degree of commercial awareness including utilising budgets/spend, fees and allocation of resource
- Ability to identify what ‘the real’ key issues are & find solutions that are a win/win or satisfy both the client/MediaCom agenda
- Actively listens, considers opinions of others
- Composed while under pressure or when facing challenging behaviour, with the ability to turn around difficult situations
- Ability to question and challenge ideas and individuals while maintaining or building a relationship
- Questioning mindset
- Challenges the status quo, anticipates problems, and finds creative solutions
- Develops new ideas that benefit the wider agency
- Not afraid to make tough decisions, using sound reasoning to do so
- Leads by influence and example to inspire and motivate the team
- Multi-media understanding and 360 AV knowledge (all channels)
- Knowledge of industry media planning tools (all media e.g. Techedge, BARB, Media Ocean, TGI, NRS, Comscore, Rajar, Postar)
- Implementational knowledge of multi-media planning tools (TGI, Media Multiplier, Touchpoints)
- Pro-actively forge relationships with media owners
- Ability to extract and filter relevant insights / research to support planning decisions
- Ability to tell compelling implementation stories (with the aim to interweave roles, flighting, weights, formats of different media and how they interrelate)
- Genuine interest in industry research and new ways of working
- Strives to deliver award winning work and industry leading innovation
- Understanding of brands and ability to understand and execute strategy
MediaCom is the UK’s largest planning and buying agency, with over 1,400 employees across five offices in London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
We believe in People First, Better Results. This means that through investing in our people’s whole-person wellbeing, careers and capabilities and creating a culture of belonging, we achieve brilliant results for both our clients’ businesses and our own. We champion individuality and diversity in our people through an abundance of initiatives and training, and attract and retain the greatest talent in the industry.
Our mission is to See the Bigger Picture for our clients. We apply our unique ‘Systems Thinking’ philosophy and technology to all marketing levers: media, message and data. As a result, we design communication strategies that deliver short term results and help brands build for the future.
MediaCom represents some of the greatest brands in the UK and beyond, both big and small. This includes Sky, British Gas, Sony, Boots, DFS, TUI, The Coca-Cola Company, Tesco and Cancer Research UK. Our client work is celebrated at the industry’s most prestigious ceremonies, and we were named Campaign’s Agency of the Decade for 2009 and 2019.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm. As such, we have access to the richest data, most robust benchmarks and most advanced capabilities in the market. This helps us provide comprehensive solutions to all marketing challenges.
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*