Digital Media Planner Buyer - Cancer Research UK
Overview of job:
The Digital Planner Buyer uses the industry and media specific insight tools, investment and media owner knowledge to build and implement digital media plans. Digital Planner Buyers need to have strong media owner relationships, as well as the ability to deliver a connected implementation media plan.
You should be developing your understanding of all digital channels to allow you to become a 360 digital planner. You will be responsible for creating the display plan and owning the overall digital plan working with the digital specialists (search, social, affiliates etc.) to deliver this integrated and holistic digital solution for clients.
Reporting of the role:
This role reports to the Digital Manager.
3 best things about the job:
- High profile clients from the charity, luxury and high-end retail sectors who are adventurous and pioneering in equal measure. They also very much see us as an extension of their own teams
- The team!
- Both the core team and the wider functions we work with are fantastic. It’s great to be able to tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience here at MediaCom across all functions
- The immediate team are fun and sociable
- The opportunity – this is a brilliant opportunity to be a trusted partner on ambitious clients, working with experienced internal professionals. You will learn a lot in this role!
Measures of success –
In three months, you would have:
- Developed strong working relationships internally with your equivalents in Comms Planning, and started to build strong relationships with day to day clients, working closely with the team Manager
- Demonstrated clear understanding of how your new role fits into the team
- Demonstrated brilliant basics in digital implementational planning and implementation by;
- Starting to become an expert in managing multiple digital campaigns at once, from initial client briefing, through to planning/buying/implementing and presenting a post campaign report to clients, with support from your line manager
- Servicing and responding to designated clients’ ongoing daily requirements
- Presenting digital developments/reports/media plans directly to clients
- Being able to lead weekly campaign reporting calls and PCAs, assess and comment on the performance of our campaigns and recommend improvements to drive efficiencies
In six months, you would have:
- Been competent in managing your own workload
- Developed a point of view on our plans’ performance and be able to make recommendations for improving results
- Built strong relationships with media owners, be keeping up to date with the latest developments from these media owners for your key clients
- Gained a thorough understanding of our financial processes and taken a lead in resolving any PIQs and queries on the account. Ensuring best practise is used on all campaigns
- Contributed towards an integrated digital plan, you’ll understand the impact digital has on offline channels and vice versa
In 12 months, you would have:
- Been working closely with the Manager on the day to day digital output across all channels and functions for your clients, taking ownership of this on some clients
- Been developing your understanding of all digital channels to allow you to become a 360 digital planner
- Developed strong commercial acumen and an in-depth understanding of the client’s business, that translates in the way you execute digital strategy and campaigns
- Demonstrated clear understanding of the role digital plays in your clients’ businesses and what your role can do to help maximise effectiveness
Responsibilities of the role:
- Excel at time management
- Have the ability to multi-task with strong organisational skills
- Be a self-starter, don’t be afraid to challenge the client or ask them a question
- Prioritise workload, making sure the most urgent things are completed first
- Develop relationships with day to day clients and internally with other functions
- Own meetings and conference calls with Comms Planners and clients
- Be reactive, and able to accommodate last minute client requests
- Keep the team status sheet updated, have a top line knowledge of all campaigns the team are working on and be able to answer if someone has a question
- Work closely with the Manager on the day to day digital output for your clients (working with all channels and functions)
- Own digital briefs and work with the Digital Manager to deliver / coordinate flawless executional plans; including working on proposals based on media owner ideas / solutions
- Understanding the role of all digital channels within your plans
- Response to brief presentations
- Develop a good understanding of the clients’ businesses and competitive set
- Take responsibility for the campaigns’ performance & optimisation, including managing regular campaign reporting status with clients, preparing and coordinating ad-hoc reports, PCAs etc.
- Work closely with Ops and Tech to ensure campaign set up is in line with implementation response
- Build and maintain key relationships with priority and preferred media owners / technology partners
- Understand commercial pressures and have a full understanding of the role of investment within your planning and buying
- Regularly update the team on digital news, new tools etc.
What you will need:
- Basic multi-media understanding
- Developing strategic digital skills
- Knowledge of industry media planning tools (all media e.g. TGI, NRS, ComScore)
- Ability to extract and filter relevant insights / research to support planning decisions
- Good communicator
- Natural curiosity
- Genuine interest in industry research and new ways of working
- Strives to deliver award winning work and industry leading innovation
- Good presentation skills
- Media buying experience
- Campaign management experience
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*
MediaCom is “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes.
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. Its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, adidas, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MediaComUK
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mediacomuk/?hl=en