MediaCom Boots Planner
Overview of job
We are looking for a Comms Planner to join the Boots Retail planning team. Working across the Boots retail account the Planner will play an integral part of the planning process and will work with a Senior Planner and two Managers to deliver innovative campaigns across all media channels. The successful candidate will get to work across the entire campaign life cycle – from strategy to execution. Retail planning spans a number of varied categories: Health, Wellness, Beauty, Opticians and Gifting (Christmas, Valentines, Mother’s Day). There is an increased focus on digital first planning which will provide a brilliant basis to upskill across all digital channels & aid development of both brand and performance planning skillsets.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the Account Manager.
The three best things about the job:
- The work: we plan campaigns for a wide range of categories (see overview) and budgets for Boots. From new product launches, to large multi million pound Christmas campaigns. This means there is the opportunity to strengthen your planning skillset by working on a range of different sized campaigns, with varied strategic objectives (from brand building to performance/conversion) across all media channels which will provide you with really solid experience.
- The team: we have a brilliant & ambitious team, who have built very strong relationships with our implementation & dedicated social teams which in turn leads to delivery of brilliant work (and a great culture!). We also work as one WPP team in conjunction with the creative agency Ogilvy giving you the opportunity to work as part of a truly integrated media & creative team.
- The client: you’ll get to work on an exciting retail brand, with a huge ambition for innovation. This is demonstrated by the constant evolution of their product ranges & services; moving into new categories such as “Wellness” & utilising technology by developing their online health propositions. Our client & team’s biggest focus in 2020/2021 is delivering on Boots vision of “mass personalisation at scale” & ensuring we are a customer first advertiser. This will enable you to get first hand experience of how we are starting to use data & technology to personalise our comms across 1,000s of products across various core audiences.
Measures of success –
In three months, you would have:
- Mastered the basics of the Boots account and the ways of working between all Mediacom teams/departments. Helped to liaise with our paid social, ppc and implementation team.
- Taken ownership of the plans & laydowns, updating them as required, liaising with the creative agency on any changes & owning the PO inbox & trackers.
- Taken ownership of the key weekly client report.
- Got involved with supporting the team with any planning research/insight for new briefs as they come in.
In six months, you would have:
- Developed a relationship with our junior marketing clients and our creative agency partners.
- Contributed & supported on regular client calls.
- Started to establish & own strong relationships with our implementation teams.
- Developed your planning/research skills with support from the team to start to feed into responses looking at: insights from media, competitors, people, media performance or culture that enrich our planning.
- Started to own & run smaller briefs in an independent way (with support of the Senior Planner/Manager where needed) which you will be able to run from strategy through to delivery.
Responsibilities of the role:
The Planner should:
- Build relationships with other MC depts, and participate widely in planning initiatives / stretch sessions.
- Understand all aspects of how the agency makes money, from finance procedures to additional services. Participate in new business effort. Reduce debt to zero
- Develop and present strong actionable insights for your clients, based on competitor analysis. Prepare support work for client meetings & briefs.
- Build a strong relationship with clients & creative agency, to become a trusted partner
- Understand the competitor landscape – become the category expert.
- Provide inspiration for the team from related and unrelated competitors.
- Develop understanding of the media landscape, the different departments of MediaCom and how we do business and make money.
What you will need:
- To be passionate about comms planning with an appetite to learn & develop & demonstrate this by participating in planning initiatives.
- Boots is a client with a focus on mass personalisation & performance - therefore digital capability/experience would be very beneficial.
- An ambition to work as part of a tight knit team & to contribute to the team culture of open communication to enable learning & development of all of our planning skills.
- A thirst for learning about technology, trends, media, people, brands and the industry
- Excellent organisational skills, meaning you are adept at managing a diverse workload and are able to appropriately prioritise tasks.
- A keen interest in understanding the client’s business and the challenges they face
- Ability to translate information clearly in Powerpoint and develop a way of story-telling through presentations
As The Content + Connections Agency, we believe everything is connected. At MediaCom, our unique approach to planning and buying across Paid, Owned and Earned media optimises our clients’ entire system, not just individual channel silos. ‘Content’ is any form of consumer messaging that connects brands to their consumers, while ‘Connections’ ensures no dead ends or wastage through disconnected content.
We look beyond our own expertise and assess the bigger picture: How do we all play a role within our clients’ broader communications system? Through our uniquely connected eco-system of diverse communications experts working we achieve this - interpreting the bigger picture and fuelling future business success.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
MediaCom was named Campaign’s Agency of the Decade and received top marks in its 2016 School Report.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk