Head of Technology
Head of Technology
The Systems Tech Team
Systems Tech are MediaCom’s Data and Technology experts transforming MediaCom into the agency of the future. Technology is a key enabler for MediaCom, helping reduce costs and create new products that drive revenue and business growth. Systems Tech are a global team of technology consultants, project managers, business analysts, data engineers, software engineers and data visualisation experts delivering technology solutions with the business.
The System Tech mission is to:
- Deliver specialist technology products that enhance our Client’s business
- Transform data into meaningful information to enable Clients and staff to make informed decisions.
- Implement technology to improve the way MediaCom works for our staff and Clients.
Systems Tech provide technology expertise and project management to create business applications and solutions for MediaCom. The team’s responsibilities range from automating a small-scale data transformation process, to save time for our staff, to building large scale strategic platform and product implementations for media planning optimisation to creative analytics to ecommerce audit.
The Systems Tech team drive data platform innovation to create exceptional global, regional and local market dashboards to enable our staff and our Clients to have the data needed to make the right decisions at the right time.
The team also work in partnership with GroupM and WPP, participating in and leading steering groups centred around the technology strategy to provide the MediaCom voice to steer the new Planning, Audience, Activation and Reporting platforms planned for 2021 and the future.
Objectives of the Role:
The Head of Technology leads the global technology function for Systems Tech. Our technology products are key to delivering MediaCom’s Seeing The Bigger Picture vision, helping to win pitches and grow client scope.
Systems Tech deliver specialist media technology products across a range of areas, from products that benefit our Clients (for example media activation optimisation, media planning or insights applications) to internal business solutions (such as internal websites and automation). Our products are heavily data focused as data is central to the operation and success of our media agency.
The Head of Technology will both create new and evolve existing applications, bringing together a team of architects, consultants, developers, DevOps engineers and external vendors to deliver these organisation-wide tech projects.
The role will work alongside the other areas of Systems Tech (PMO, Product Development, etc.) and in close connection with Senior leadership across MediaCom and the wider GroupM/WPP network. The role will oversee 3rd party Technology vendors to deliver project-based work as needed and set the direction of all applications & projects regardless of project type or delivery type.
The role oversees a growing and critical part of the Global Engineering team – the Tech team – which operates alongside Tech Operations and Business Intelligence. The Head of Technology is the face of this team, providing excellent leadership and stewardship through this period of growth - in team profile, in skill set, in depth of tech literacy, whilst managing increasing demands of the agency. The role will also help spring forward technology competencies in various markets by setting standards and frameworks.
Key Areas of Responsibility and Accountability:
- Define the technology roadmap that delivers the overall Systems Tech technology strategy, working closely with Product Development, PMO
- Work with the PMO and the Senior Leadership to make sure all technology projects are commercially viable and have strong business cases
- Consult and advise stakeholders (both in Systems Tech and across the business) on technology considerations for projects, solutions and on new technology trends
- Educate and evangelize technology solutions and projects to internal Senior Management, within the larger WPP group and externally
- Participate in the Senior Engineering leadership team alongside the leads of Tech Operations and Business Intelligence
- Manage and mentor the team, accountable for the performance of the Technology team and its growth. Re-organize the current team structure to maximise effectiveness
- Build new capability as required. Responsible for developing a DevOps oriented competency for Technology
- Establish a technology Board within the agency to evaluate new technologies, govern current projects and set the Tech direction
- Define standards, establish the right level of governance, and coordinate internal and external resources
- Ensure adherence to and implementation of company standards (WPP IT standards, GroupM IT standards, MediaCom Standards), strategies and supplier contracts for MediaCom technology vendors and partners and follows technology systems policies and controls to ensure data accuracy, security, legal and regulatory compliance
Do you have a passion for leading and shaping technology teams, delivering solutions that drive client and business growth and improve the way the a business operates? Do you love working with people across the globe at all levels? Can you create technology solutions that delivers a ROI for an organization?
We are seeking a pragmatic, commercially aware, forward-thinking individual who thrives in a fast-paced and growing environment. You are an experienced Technology Director with a proven track record of building teams encompassing architecture, development, DevOps, and external vendors. You have guided teams to connect technology and data across organisations, in doing so transforming them for the better.
You are collaborative by nature and understand that success in a global organization is a group effort across geographies, business functions and operating companies. You are an exceptional coach and mentor, and you seek to build, grow and take your team to new heights. You excel at bringing people and tech together to deliver tangible outcomes against business goals, with an eye on the bottom line.
Ideally, you have a working knowledge of the media and marketing space.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Substantial and broad experience in application delivery at senior levels. A depth of understanding of application development trends, architecture, team composition and people development to achieve business needs.
- Thorough and broad technical understanding of the technology landscape and working knowledge of wide variety of technical platforms across business applications and Cloud. Excellent understanding of data with a depth of experience working on data focused products. Good understanding of 3rd party technologies in the media, advertising and data management space. Broad understanding of emerging technologies.
- Management and technical leadership: Experience managing highly technical teams including software development. An ability to structure the team, identify areas for development and addressing them
- Global and matrix organisation experience: Proven experience leading in-person teams, remote teams, third-party suppliers and working successfully across a complex matrix org structure
- Gravitas: Ability to instil confidence in business stakeholders from all levels and demonstrate the business value of technology. Proven experience managing senior business stakeholders
- Commercial mindset: experience creating commercially viable applications and analysing and outlining the ROI for internally efficiency projects
- Creative thinker: with the ability to develop concrete requirements from unclear situations.
- Curious learner: A love of learning and a desire to share your knowledge and skills with others.
- Exceptional communicator: Exceptional spoken and written communication skills. You have the technical and communication skills to be credible with technology and business specialists. You are able to articulate technology choices to both the product team and business stakeholders in ways and terms that they can understand
- Multi-tasker: ability to work with multiple products simultaneously, to react constructively to frequently changing priorities and timelines while maintaining high quality delivery
- Self-motivated: ability to work with minimal direction and capable of managing multiple priorities with little instruction or oversight
- Team player: You understand that your success depends on teamwork. You love being part of a bigger team. You bring a positive, can-do attitude. You love learning and sharing your knowledge and skills with others
Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in the advertising, digital media or related fields.
- Experience of working in an international organisation.
- Experience\Certified in Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Previous hands-on experience as a developer