Overview of role
MediaCom are looking for a Quantitative Insight Consultant to work in our Insight team. We are an award-winning Insight team embedded within Systems Intelligence at MediaCom.
Systems Intelligence (SI) houses all the data, effectiveness, insight, and technology specialists within MediaCom. The SI team has one purpose – to ensure the best use of data and insights within media planning.
As a Insight Consultant, you will play a key part in our team, supporting senior staff, overseeing the work of and line-managing junior team members and working with MediaCom planners and clients alike to ensure that their campaigns are grounded in a true understanding of people and what makes them tick.
The role presents the opportunity to work across a range of clients from different sectors, for example: Sky, Tesco, Kwik Fit, TUI, Dell and Hasbro.
Reporting of the role
You will report into a Senior Associate Director.
Three best things about the job
1 Variety – no two days are ever the same: you will be working across a range of different clients, categories and research objectives (e.g., audience understanding, campaign measurement, brand and ad tracking). You will have the opportunity to work on paid client projects as well as supporting the agency in putting insight at the heart of their work and working on insights to feed into MediaCom new business.
2 Accountability – as a Research Manager you will be expected to take a leading role in managing the project team, having a complete end of end view of the entire research process, and ensuring best practice processes are followed
3 The people – MediaCom is a brilliant place to work, with a people-first culture. You’ll get to build close working relationships with the client planning teams, working with them to develop actionable recommendations from the research and next steps for the client
Measures of success
In three months, you would have:
- Gained an understanding of how the agency operates, how our team’s work fits in and what role quantitative research plays in this
- Taken the lead on running client projects and writing proposals
- Started to establish strong relationships with planners, clients and suppliers
- Developed an understanding of MediaCom’s suite of syndicated and bespoke tools, started to work with the team to promote these within the agency and using wider data sources to add context to your findings
- Built a good working relationship with your direct reports, establishing a clear understanding of their KPIs and training requirements
In six months, you would have:
• Established yourself within the Insight team – inspiring confidence and trust in your colleagues and making your mark on our quantitative output
• Developed a good understanding of other areas of Systems Intelligence and the wider MediaCom business
In 12 months, you would have:
- Become a go-to person for planners and other internal stakeholders
- Been involved in generating insights for new business pitches and had key involvement in the pitch team
Responsibilities of the role
- Independently managing research projects from proposal to presenting to clients, with minimal support from senior staff
- Designing the optimum research approach, and writing winning proposals
- Overseeing the work of junior team members, coaching, and providing constructive feedback
- Running analysis sessions, finding the story in the data, and writing presentations with support from junior staff
- Developing relationships with planning teams and clients and spotting new business opportunities
- Managing one to two research executives; helping to manage their workload, running their appraisals, and setting KPIs to support their career development
- Identifying team skills gaps and training needs and helping to develop training programmes for the team
- Actively promoting your designated desktop tools (e.g. TGI, YouGov Profiles and Brand Index, Touchpoints etc) and our bespoke research offering within the agency
- Keeping abreast of innovative methodologies and continually looking for improvements in the efficiency and quality of our work
What you will need
- A proven track record in using a range of different quantitative research methods (e.g., brand tracking, campaign evaluation, audience understanding) and experience in using innovative research methods
- Some knowledge of qualitative research and how qual and quant research work together
- Self-motivation: an ambition to make the ordinary extraordinary and bring the new and different to your work. To be passionate about all things Insight!
- Strong analysis skills, able to work independently with data sets to find a clear and compelling story that clearly answers the client’s research objectives and focuses on the actionable, not just the interesting
- Proven experience in building strong client relationships
- To enjoy presenting, both internally, and externally to clients
- A high level of attention to detail
- A problem-solving mindset
- Able to present complex ideas in a clear and engaging way
- People management experience and/or experience coaching and mentoring junior team members
- An ability to prioritise and delegate, managing both up and down
- Whilst direct experience of media and comms research is not necessary, a passion for media, communication and brands is a must
- Some experience of working with social and behavioural data or a keen interest to learn in these areas
MediaCom is the UK’s largest planning and buying agency, with over 1,400 employees across five offices in London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
We believe in People First, Better Results. This means that through investing in our people’s whole-person wellbeing, careers and capabilities and creating a culture of belonging, we achieve brilliant results for both our clients’ businesses and our own. We champion individuality and diversity in our people through an abundance of initiatives and training, and attract and retain the greatest talent in the industry.
Our mission is to See the Bigger Picture for our clients. We apply our unique ‘Systems Thinking’ philosophy and technology to all marketing levers: media, message and data. As a result, we design communication strategies that deliver short term results and help brands build for the future.
MediaCom represents some of the greatest brands in the UK and beyond, both big and small. This includes Sky, British Gas, Sony, Boots, DFS, TUI, The Coca-Cola Company, Tesco and Cancer Research UK. Our client work is celebrated at the industry’s most prestigious ceremonies, and we were named Campaign’s Agency of the Decade for 2009 and 2019.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm. As such, we have access to the richest data, most robust benchmarks and most advanced capabilities in the market. This helps us provide comprehensive solutions to all marketing challenges.
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*