Breaking News Reporter
The Breaking news Reporter is responsible for competitive, timely digital posts of breaking news of all kinds, supported by photos and, in most cases, video. Must be adept at social media, SEO and best digital media practices. Must be able to write clean, accurate copy with little supervision; make critical news judgments about what news and events deserve coverage. Must be curious, have good sources, and be able to find unique local content daily.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cover local news, including communities/schools/downtown/developments/politics/business and retail/weather.
- Develop leads, information and sources throughout the community.
- Think visually at all times. Mobile and social media platforms require photos and video to illustrate posts/stories.
- Conduct research for stories, including monitoring websites, identifying experts and examining documents to ensure high-interest stories have proper context and depth, and offer readers lots of information.
- Keep current on local, state, national and international news developments that affect the Treasure Valley, and keep a rich story list of short-term and long-term writing projects.
- Must be able to create charts, interactive graphics and data-visualization journalism.
- Cover the basics: Verify facts and be accurate. Meet deadlines. Double-check all names, phone numbers and websites. Know different story forms and when to use alternative presentation. Eliminate duplication. Write headlines, decks, leads and cutlines with right priority and unique content. Know how to interview sources in person and over the phone.
- Have vehicle available to cover breaking news as needed.
- Have telephone and answering machine or voice messaging service at place of residence
- Adhere to the company’s safety policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics.
- Strong understanding of social media guidelines and copyright instruction for use of images and video.
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting.
- A vision of future audience trends and digital media important.
- Ability to write quickly, accurately and well.
- Ability to find stories in likely and unlikely places.
- A good grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms.
- A collaborative style that works comfortably with editors, other writers and other employees throughout the office and company.
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.
- Four-year college degree in applicable field, preferably in journalism
- Equivalent experience and training.
- Experience in journalism at a newspaper or other digital media preferred.