BIL Reporter/Audience Producer
Bilingual Real-Time Reporter/Audience Growth Producer
At el Nuevo Herald, serving readers in a crowded media market means we must be the best and most relevant source of journalism for our Spanish-language audience. And we must work hard to reach people, wherever they are. That’s where the Real-Time Reporter/Audience Growth Producer comes in. We’re looking for a creative, high-energy journalist to join our team.
Our goals are building long-term engagement and loyalty, while continuing to attract new audiences of readers.
The ideal candidate must have strong writing, editing and visuals skills. He or she will need a strong understanding of social media, and should be comfortable with other distribution methods such as newsletters and push alerts.
A willingness to experiment with emerging platforms and techniques is a must. The candidate must be organized and able to multitask. Keen news judgment, strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate with colleagues at both el Nuevo Herald and the Miami Herald also are musts. The ability to write engaging headlines and a working knowledge of SEO are key skills.
The Real-Time News Reporter/Audience Growth Producer also will be responsible for writing, compiling and/or producing lightning-fast stories and posts about breaking news, local politics, business, entertainment, sports and lifestyle news that is driving the conversation online – or will be driving it a few minutes from now. It could be the latest big development in the mayoral race, a breaking scandal in the local business world, or just Pitbull’s show last night in our town – all in the same day.
This position is based in Miami, will report to the Senior Growth Editor and collaborate closely with the Regional Growth Editor. Night and weekend hours are a possibility.
- Manage newsroom social media accounts. Deep expertise in a specific platform (ie, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) is a plus, but you will work on all platforms.
- Strong writing, reporting and editing skills and excellent news judgment
- An interest in telling stories using a variety of media, and an enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies
- Manage website and optimize story pages
- Monitor real-time analytics
- Produce customized newsletters and manage push alerts
- Ability to engage with readers and develop sources on social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Command of AP style
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of writing, editing, digital production, and/or social media experience
- Fluency in Spanish is required
- Working knowledge of SEO and digital best practices
- Solid news judgment
- A demonstrated understanding of digital audiences
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter and any related portfolio materials in an email to Abel Fernandez at abfernandez@
El Nuevo Herald is a member of the McClatchy Company. All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of post-offer drug and background screenings. We offer a competitive salary, along with a varied benefits package, including, Medical, Dental, Vision coverage, LiveWell, Life Insurance, 401(k) Savings Plan, vacation, sick leave and company holidays. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer.