The position has on site responsibility for audience growth of the newspaper’s entire single copy product portfolio. This includes but is not limited to each newspaper’s single copy (print and digital) and 3rd party print circulation. This also includes but is not limited to accurate reporting and management of returns, scanned based losses, shrink and collections.
The On Demand Logistics Coordinator will also be responsible for identifying, developing and delivering on various financial and audience goals including but not limited to audience growth, retention, expense, revenue and operating cash flow; anticipating declines and/or shortfalls in delivering on goals; and developing and executing plans to address declines and/or shortfalls for the assigned newspaper as it pertains to single copy - print and digital.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed to ensure success for the assigned newspaper.
- Responsible for knowing, communicating and delivering on the core strategies, audience targets, audience revenue targets and audience division cash flow targets. Identifies alternatives for delivering on strategies and targets when shortfalls are anticipated. Responsible for the coordination, performance of the assigned newspapers Logistics team.
- Responsible for the implementation of an effective distribution process that ensures world-class delivery to On-Demand locations within the market which should include a transition to a distributor type operation. The position will also have a responsibility to ensure that Logistics work conducted for the assigned newspaper is done in a world-class manner. This will include developing solid operational practices, and customer service practices that meet and exceed the consumer’s expectations. Responsible for the accurate distribution of on demand copies as well as timely and accurate report of unsold copies (returns).
- Responsible for collections: scan based stores, rack locations, distributor / contractor invoices ensuring that all are in good standing and current..
- Responsible for shrink and resolving those issues to improve the overall performance of the On-Demand operation of the Logistics department.
- Defines, develops, and interprets goals and objectives, policies and procedures for the Logistics department at the assigned newspaper.
- Responsible for delivering great service to the readers and users of each newspaper’s products and services. This service will include both product delivery and consumer interaction through contacts made with consumers both inbound and outbound.
- Analyzes route profitability, route design and logistics to ensure route compensation is fair and that On-Demand deliveries are timely.
- Manages the daily operation of the On-Demand logistics department to ensure high level retailer and customer satisfaction.
- Establishes work schedules to accomplish delivery goals.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet schedules; determines measure to improve delivery methods.
- Resolves retailer / subscriber, carrier and distributor issues.
- Coordinates and maintains a high degree of communication with the senior management teams at the assigned newspaper and with the regional logistics team.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; and 2-4 years related experience and/or training, including at least 5 years of management level experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires a prior work history that demonstrates strong, successful leadership ability and solid understanding of complexities of newspaper circulation, audience development, sales, distribution and marketing. Excellent written, verbal and organizational development skills.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as distribution fees, wholesale and retail rates, commissions, returns proportions and percentages.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.