News Intern - el Nuevo Herald
When a gunman shot 49 people dead at a Florida nightclub, a group of just-arrived interns went to work. They didn't even get computer training yet, but were off and running to identify the victims and tell their stories.
And when a high-rise condo collapsed in the middle of the night in Surfside, interns went to the scene each day and got answers.
But interns don't need world-shaking events to play a major role at the Miami Herald. There' s plenty of news to go around in their assignments on our investigative, visual, business, government, sports, public service, education and health teams.
Behind those swaying palms, mamey-colored sunsets and salty sea air, Miami is one of the best news towns in the world.
And then there is the place. Our rising skyline shimmers under the sun. Our diverse neighborhoods vibrate with music and burst with art. Our food takes you across the Americas (even a local KFC has sold home-made flan, and if you have never tried a croqueta, well ... ).
Come to the Miami Herald to intern and you'll be in paradise with one of the best jobs in journalism. You'll hold politicians accountable, answer the latest health questions for your readers, make a video of a place no one else can go to. You'll break the news and explain the issues.
Want to join us? It starts with an application.
● We offer internships in data analysis and visualization, visual storytelling, audience engagement, as well as breaking news, business, features and sports reporting.
● Internships last 10 weeks and are paid.
● Application deadline is Oct. 29, 2022.
● Most interns come during the summer, but successful candidates can intern in fall or winter of the 2023 calendar year.
What we need from you:
● A persuasive cover letter. Why should we pick you?
● Four to six samples of your work for writers, artists, designers; 20 images for photographers, five videos from videographers. Or a combination of the above.
● The names of three references we can contact and ways to contact them. We do not require letters of recommendation.