The News & Observer has an immediate need for part-time Inserters at our Insert Center located in Garner.
The News & Observer Publishing Co., with deep roots in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area, publishes The News & Observer, along with additional publications serving the Triangle area and communities.
As an Inserter, you will be responsible for maintaining a steady supply of preprints into the insert machine hopper feeder at all times; this may include multiple feeders, pulling inserts from pallets and shaking to specified position to feed into the machine. Inserters work in a production environment with fellow co-workers and must have a high degree of safety awareness.
The News & Observer Insert Center is a production facility in a manufacturing/warehouse environment that functions 7 days a week, including holidays. This facility runs printing presses, insert machinery and various equipment as part of the newspaper assembly. Newspapers are prepared in bundles for packaging delivery.
Workdays: Vary throughout the week, including weekends and holidays
Shifts: (1st) 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM and (2nd) 4:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Note: most openings for this position are on the 2nd shift with some potential for morning shifts
Hours per week: 20-29, on average, depending on workload
Pay Rate: $10.00
Status: Regular, Part-time
- Pulling bundle stacks of papers and preparing bundles/papers for condition of feeding or stacking/loading on pallets or carts
- Prepare bundle stacks for feeding equipment at a fast pace for inserting equipment to run continuously
- Monitor insert machine to reduce double inserts and/or skips
- Maintain a clean work environment; keeping machines clean, removing papers, skids and debris from the work area throughout your workday
- Follow safety instructions and guidelines
- Assist and work with other team members
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check and drug test
- Demonstrate regular and reliable attendance, including arriving on time for shifts. Additional hours may be required depending on workload
- Ability to change work assignments on short notice and be flexible in scheduling including weekends and holidays
- Demonstrates common sense and ability to follow instructions
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Physical dexterity to lift, move material and pull bundles and stacks approximately 20-30 pounds on a continuous basis and occasionally up to 50 pounds
- Good hand coordination to handle inserts and newspaper bundles of various sizes
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, on a concrete floor, for at least 5 hours at a time
- High School Diploma/GED, preferred