The News & Observer has expanded production and has an immediate need to hire several part-time Inserters at our Insert Center located in Garner.
The Ideal candidate:
- Thrives in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Is Dependable with a sense of urgency and good attendance
- Arrives to work on time; Ready to be productive
- Is a Motivated team player who does what it takes to get the job done – even if that means working past the end of your scheduled shift
Learn a little about Us: http://bit.ly/This_Is_McClatchy
The News & Observer, with deep roots in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area, publishes The News & Observer, along with additional publications serving the Triangle area and communities.
As an Inserter, you will be responsible for maintaining a steady supply of preprints into the insert machine hopper feeder at all times; this may include multiple feeders, pulling inserts from pallets and shaking to specified position to feed into the machine. Inserters work in a production environment with fellow co-workers and must have a high degree of safety awareness.
The News & Observer Insert Center is a fast-paced, deadline driven production facility in a manufacturing/warehouse environment that functions 7 days a week, including holidays. This facility runs printing presses, insert machinery and various equipment as part of the newspaper assembly. Newspapers are prepared in bundles for packaging delivery.What we have heard from some of our employees:
- "The hardest part of the job is when its going at a fast pace. But once you get the hang of it it’s pretty easy"
- “The News & Observer is an outstanding place to work for employees. The bosses are kind and respect their workers and workers respect them. The job that I do was explained very well and I have no problems with the job. Co-workers are also good”
- “Overall a great place to work and fun people to be around”
- “Management is fair there; I would recommend this job to friends”
Workdays: Vary throughout the week, including weekends and holidays with Thursday, Friday and Saturday being the busiest days.
Hiring Initiative: We are currently focused on hiring several people for our 2nd shift
- 2nd shift: 4:00 PM - 12:00 AM (Primary shift)
Note: This primary shift may have an occasional opportunity to work the 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM shift
Hours per week: 20-29, on average, depending on workload
Pay Rate: $10.00
Status: Regular, Part-time
- Prepare bundle stacks of advertisements and properly load into hoppers of inserting equipment to ensure the machine runs continuously – this is fast paced
- Monitor insert machine to reduce double inserts and/or skips
- Maintain a clean work environment; keeping machines clean, removing papers, skids and debris from the work area throughout your workday
- Follow safety instructions and guidelines
- Assist and work with other team members
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check and drug test
- Demonstrate regular and reliable attendance, including arriving on time for shifts. Additional hours may be required depending on workload
- Ability to change work assignments on short notice and be flexible in scheduling including weekends and holidays
- Demonstrates common sense and ability to follow instructions
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Physical dexterity to lift, move material and pull bundles and stacks approximately 20-30 pounds on a continuous basis and occasionally up to 50 pounds
- Good hand coordination to handle inserts and newspaper bundles of various sizes
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, on a concrete floor, for at least 5 hours at a time
- High School Diploma/GED, preferred