Audience Growth Producer
The Sacramento Bee is seeking an Audience Growth Producer to diversify and grow readership for our journalism and to connect with our communities. The successful candidate will engage with readers during events, Q&A sessions, user-generated content, on social media, through newsletters and across our digital platforms.
Audience Growth Producers are also experts in SEO and news alert strategy. They are responsible for helping to determine the best ways to reach our readers and elevate our articles, videos and multimedia packages. Keen news judgment, strong communication and writing skills, and the ability to collaborate are musts. Plus, an enthusiasm for creative engagement as well as public service journalism is essential.
We’re seeking a versatile and resourceful journalist who enjoys working closely with editors and reporters to ensure our journalism is reaching the right audience at the right time. This role is on an audience team that works closely with four other newsrooms across California; The Fresno Bee, The Modesto Bee, The Merced Sun-Star and the San Luis Obispo Tribune. An understanding of California news trends and audiences, particularly within local news, is preferred.
We are also part of McClatchy, a digitally driven company focused on innovation, with newsrooms in 30 communities in the United States.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between $23.08 and $28.21. Individual base pay may vary within that range depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, department equity, training, geography and local wage and hours laws.
In this role, you will need to:
- Lead journalism engagement projects to reach, connect and engage with our local readers and communities, including events, Q&A sessions, user-generated content and more.
- Create and manage news-focused social media campaigns that feature sharp, clean and conversational share text and result in high engagement with our local audiences. Video, Instagram and TikTok experience a plus.
- Coach newsrooms on best SEO practices, ensuring local and breaking news stories are surfaced for readers through search.
- Write and/or curate daily and weekly newsletters.
- Write engaging headlines that draw readers into our articles.
- Effectively use analytics tools such as Parse.ly to make real-time decisions and develop digital strategies.
- Experiment with new audience tools and platforms.
- Identify audience strategies for high-impact journalism projects.
- Experience with Spanish-language audiences is preferred, but not necessary.
- Other digital audience growth duties as needed.
The successful candidate should meet many, though not necessarily all, of the following requirements:
- College degree or equivalent work experience.
- 1-2 years of news writing, editing and/or digital experience.
- Strong writing skills and excellent news judgment.
- A demonstrated understanding of digital audiences.
- Experience managing social media accounts.
- Working knowledge of SEO concepts and Google Trends.
- May include evenings, weekends and holidays shifts.
- Ability to collaborate with team members both remotely and in the newsroom in a fast-paced news environment.
- Passion for news and love for experimentation.
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application.
As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on well-being and daily life, our package options includes healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefit package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
Our impact is growing every day. We have 30 growing news markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of an exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.