Education Reporter - Remote - Myrtle Beach SC
The Sun News is looking for a versatile, committed journalist excited to dig into stories about families in Horry County, and believes in the power of storytelling. This reporter is digitally sound and mobile-focused, and is comfortable capturing iPhone videos and photos.
With some daily assignments and enterprise, the education reporter requires a level of narrative writing and ability to uncover great stories where routine is common. This position is far-reaching and includes covering K-12 education and their families in an intentional, intriguing, thought-provoking, nuanced and intriguing way. Using the community, its connections and social media to determine what stories are newsworthy and needed in real time.
The education reporter will cover topics that vary from policy and what's happening in classrooms through the lens of students, teachers, staff and administration, paying close attention to school equity and underserved communities. Other topics may include student excellence and their impact on the community, to stories that examine the legal system and violence within youths. The education reporter should be able to take stories of national importance and tell our communities how it impacts them.
Location: This position will work remote, within the Myrtle Beach SC area.
- Conduct research, interview sources and write stories that inform, captivate and grow the audience. Most stories will be short-term in focus and execution; however, may participate in long-term assignment.
- Use social media, Google Trends and other tools to identify and report stories that are essential to our communities and build an audience for our journalism.
- Develop sources that are relevant to beat assignment and that reflect the diversity of the community - in race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, occupation and other identifiers.
- Meet all deadlines as assigned by the editor.
- Stay up to date with the latest current events related to beat topics.
- Meet audience goals established by the editor.
- Write stories using proper grammar and following AP style guidelines. Revise stories as requested by the editor.
- Take simple photographs and videos as needed.
- Sets agenda on beats and assignments with direction from the editor.
- Abide by McClatchy’s ethics policy.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field; or, the equivalent education, experience, skills and knowledge needed to do the job
- 1-2 years of full-time reporting experience.
- Research, writing and reporting skills and the ability to navigate online search engines.
- Strong grounding in journalism ethics, and an unwavering commitment to accurate and ethical journalism.
- Ability to write ethical, honest, accurate and objective stories, exhibit solid news judgment.
- Understanding of how to use analytics such as: subscriber conversion, page views, time on site and referral sources to help determine which stories resonate with which audiences.
- Ability to use social media platforms to reach and engage with audiences.
- A strong understanding of audience trends and digital media. Ability to correctly identify audiences for selected stories.
- Ability to prioritize and meet short- and long-term deadlines in a fast-paced, data-driven work environment and to accurately fact-check information.
- Ability to work a flex schedule including nights and weekends. Must be able to work remotely while contributing to a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and teamwork skills. Excellent communication and active listening skills.
- Ability to interact professionally and build relationships and develop sources with a diverse array of people.
- Ability to work well, be professional and courteous with a variety of editors, staff at all levels and the public.
- Computer proficiency (Google for Enterprise, web search, databases)
- Basic knowledge and an aptitude to report on twitter with the ability to report short, accurate, ethical facts on twitter post as a story is unfolding and the ability to interact with the public on twitter in a professional and courteous manner
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
To Apply: Please include work samples or a link to your online portfolio