Director Subscriptions Acquisition, Digital
The position has responsibility for creating and executing programs to drive digital and print subscriber acquisition through digital marketing channels.. This individual will help manage the day-to-day execution of subscriber acquisition campaigns for all McClatchy markets with a concentration on paywall, onsite, email, SEM and paid social marketing channels.
The Director of Subscriber Acquisition, Digital will be detail-oriented and possess a blend of creative, technical, and analytical aptitude. This individual must be able to collaborate and partner effectively with cross-function stakeholders and teams across the organization. The role will have goals and targets including but not limited to audience targets, revenue targets, and expense targets for McClatchy consumer revenue. Together the starts and stops equate to the total subscriber accounts (TSA) for all markets. This individual is expected to contribute to delivering on these targets, anticipate shortfalls and identify areas for improvement
or alternative plans to meet established goals as necessary.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed to
ensure success for each of the McClatchy markets.
- Responsible for managing digital and print subscriber acquisition efforts across digital channels, managing expense and effort to optimize ROI.
- Drive new subscribers through optimization, deployment, and segmentation of internal lists through effective email and digital strategies and execution that deliver targets and personalized campaigns
- Optimize customer acquisition through channels such as Owned, Search, Display, Apps, Social, SEM, Newsletters, and Partnerships that optimize TSA and APRU performance.
- Execute tactical strategies based on data-driven analytics to drive deployment and maximize ARPU in all campaigns.
- Work with cross-functional teams to improve the overall end-to-end customer experience, engagement and product promotion stacks to drive TSA and revenue.
- Works in collaboration with the strategy team to improve Customer Lifetime Value through alignment and execution of content marketing campaigns, re-engagement programs, and reacquisition programs efforts.
- Development of segmentation and personalization programs across all online and offline channels to optimize KPIs across our performance marketing channels.
- Partner with the marketing team for creative design and copy development that delivers best-in-class marketing campaign strategies that drive conversions. Campaigns will promote that features and brand-essential benefits to targeted potential buyers.
- Experimentation of new channel sources and continuous A/B testing to improve conversions and CLV optimization.
- Participate and help anchor key projects to help improve revenue and TSA for McClatchy through cross-functional teams and partnerships.
- Constantly explores new opportunities for sales growth, by securing new vendors, sales outlets, campaigns, or programs that further diversity McClatchy’s sales programs.
- Responsible for knowing, communicating and delivering on the digital and print total subscriber account (TSA) volumes and subscription revenue targets for each of the McClatchy markets, specifically by meeting or exceeding the sales targets set in the budget process.
- Stays in touch with the industry’s best practices and uses the practices to improve the productivity of programs used in each of the McClatchy markets.
- Ensure all programs are in compliance with the Alliance for Audited Media rules and regulations.
- Ensures that all contracted work is done in accordance with the vendor SLA, with governing laws, policies and the McClatchy Company values and Code of Business Ethics.
- Responsible for supporting, communicating and adhering to each of the McClatchy market’s mission, vision and core values.
- The Director of Subscription Acquisition, Digital is responsible for delivering on the needed revenue, TSA management, and program implementation for the subscription acquisition team.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensures accountability by position to ensure each person delivers on their assigned targets for each of the McClatchy markets.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; Requires a prior work history that demonstrates strong successful leadership ability and a solid understanding of the complexities of newspaper circulation, sales, distribution and marketing.
- 10+ years in a customer acquisition via digital marketing channels (SEM, paid social, email display retargeting, onsite marketing, paywall, marketing automation techniques).
- 5+ years leading marketing and customer acquisition teams in a digital marketing / e-commerce environment.
- High level of proficiency in Excel and website analytics (e.g. Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics)
- Must be highly proficient in presentation decks (Powerpoint, Google Slides), website analytics (Google Analytics or Adobe Analytics) and spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel and Google Docs).
- Must also possess a strong understanding of digital marketing technology aspects and conventions, such as ad serving, audience management tools, inventory management, third-party ad tags and creative tracking.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.