News Intern - Charlotte Observer
Join The Charlotte Observer’s newsroom as a paid intern in summer 2023 working with our exceptional team of journalists in a vibrant city. From Day 1 of your internship, you will be welcomed as part of The Charlotte Observer staff. We expect our interns to work as beginning professionals from their first day: to report (or shoot) stories ready to be edited for digital and print publication.
We hire for positions on various desks, including visuals, sports, business, breaking news and government.
Through training opportunities scheduled during the work day, you’ll have access to sessions with experienced journalists and learn about topics such as reporting and writing news stories, researching public documents, shooting video on deadline assignments and understanding libel law. Each intern works with a mentor and can expect regular feedback and coaching from their editor. We are committed, across our newsroom, to helping interns develop as journalists.
- Internships are paid based on a 40-hour week
- The schedule may include weekend or evening hours.
- Work is performed mostly in-person in the field or in our newsroom office. Relocation to reside and work in the Charlotte market is a must.
- Interns do not work holidays.
- Internships cover a 10-week period, typically beginning in early June.
- Interns should be currently enrolled in a four-year degree program or recently graduated.
- Interns must have a car (The Observer pays mileage expenses).
- Interns must pass a drug test.
Qualifications should include:
- A collaborative work ethic and a strong desire to learn.
- Deep curiosity and a drive to find truth.
- Solid news judgment, accuracy and high ethical standards.
- Understanding of the professional use of social media in news-gathering and audience development.
- Quick study of technology and tools used in news-gathering.
- Experience working at a college publication, print or online, or another news outlet.
To apply, include with your application:
- A one-page cover letter that summarizes why you want to be an intern in our newsroom.
- Resume that includes links to your public social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).
- Links and/or PDF copies of work samples.
- At least two references.
Deadline: Tuesday, October 25, 2022, at 5 p.m. but we encourage you to apply early.
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.