Strategic Contracts Manager
The Strategic Contracts Manager works within the Strategic Business Operations (SBO) team as an independent contributor, teaming with business primes to negotiate and execute contracts for strategic business opportunities. The Strategic Contracts Manager ensures consistent management of proposals and contracts. This generally includes oversight of the contract management process, contract negotiations and document management. This role requires close collaboration with various departments, both internal and external, including Information Technology, Data Privacy and Security, Product Management, Finance, Legal and other business primes where required.
The Strategic Contracts Manager also provides support to the Office of Strategy Management in maintaining relationships with companies that are of strategic value to McClatchy and its operating units, and keeping those relationships in line with the long-term and short-term goals of McClatchy.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between 80,000 and 120,000 annually. Individual base pay may vary within that range depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, department equity, training, geography and local wage and hours laws.
- As an independent contributor to the SBO team, this position will report to the Director of Strategic Business Operations (SBO), assisting McClatchy business stakeholders to develop innovative approaches to execute contracts in a way that is consistent with McClatchy strategy and business objectives
- Advise McClatchy employees on matters of contract compliance when needed
- Experience or interest in data privacy law and evolving practices highly desirable
- Review and redline contracts from a business perspective with the objective of striking the optimum balance between minimizing risk and maximizing business opportunity
- Supports the business goals of corporate departments and McClatchy properties as required by providing guidance and assistance with contract execution and vendor interaction on key initiatives. Work with business prime to assist with or lead negotiations in business development deals as assigned;
- Engage relevant stakeholders in negotiation decisions involving legal or regulatory requirements, contract standards and cost targets. Serve as primary organizational contact during contract negotiations;
- Oversee organizational contract development and enforce organizational principles of integrity and compliance;
- Ensure that contracts and proposals are properly entered into organizational databases and securely maintained;
- Work with the legal department to develop standards for contracts, including presentation of budget, payment terms, general language and provisions;
- Conduct contract strategy meetings to identify issues and client requirements, facilitate pricing discussions, and obtain senior management input on timelines and deliverables;
- Work with Legal to draft contractual provisions based on strategy discussions, senior management input, and organizational needs and expectations;
- Assure accuracy and appropriateness of contract text and attachments.
- Four-year college degree in media or business; JD or ; licensed to practice law in at least one state a plus but not a requirement.
- Minimum four years experience in vendor management role with direct involvement in legal / contract work
- Understanding of existing and emerging Internet business models and media business models;
- An understanding of contract terms and terminology;
- Understanding of Sales and Advertising agreements a plus;
- Experience working with third party reseller agreements and business models are pluses;
- Experience with contract management system, eSignature tools and project management systems a plus;
- Experience in applying organizational standards when negotiating terms and drafting contracts.
- Ability to identify and drive global process improvements, coordinate between privacy, sales, operations and legal teams and be a great communicator to both external and internal customers;
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations;
- Ability to work well as part of a team and independently;
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines;
- Proficiency in utilizing and interpreting financial models and analyses;
- Ability to systematically analyze complex problems, draw relevant conclusions and implement appropriate solutions;
- Strong verbal and written skills and ability to convey complex information in a way that others can readily follow;
- Excellent negotiating and persuasive skills, both in one-on-one and group situations.
What we’ll bring:
McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefits package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.