The Charlotte Observer is looking for a metro editor -- a key senior leader in our newsroom who will help lead, coach and inspire our journalists. Our mission is exclusive, essential accountability reporting that serves our community, and the metro editor is at the heart of our work conceiving and developing journalism toward that purpose.
The metro editor knows how to spot a great story and help a reporter go get it. He or she must have the highest journalism ethics and sound judgment and be a skilled story editor. This editor should be energized by coaching and collaborating with reporters, editors, visual journalists, other Carolinas newsrooms and McClatchy colleagues who support our journalism.
He or she must be a collaborative coach who is excited about helping our most experienced editors and reporters deliver “only in The Observer” journalism, and is also skilled at helping early career reporters master a beat, break news and develop deeper enterprise journalism.
The Observer is deeply committed to First Amendment values in our journalism and holding leaders and institutions accountable. The metro editor must be passionate about watchdog journalism and ensuring that government institutions conduct business in the open.
The metro editor needs to be a digital journalist at heart with a deep understanding of the digital news ecosystem and a firm grasp of the art and the science of reaching digital readers through search, social media and other distribution channels. He or she must be adept at using readership analytics and other data to inform decision-making that grows and retains digital subscribers.
The metro editor plays a crucial part in helping our news team put our readers at the center of everything we do. This is a key leadership role for an editor who is comfortable working across the newsroom to deliver journalism that is engaging and essential and makes an impact in our community and state.
Education and knowledge: College degree required. Minimum of five years of newsroom leadership preferred. Proven record of growing digital readership and engagement required.
- Lead, direct, collaborate with and coach colleagues throughout the newsroom to identify and produce compelling daily and long-range mission-driven journalism.
- Help shape everything from breaking news to long-form pieces in a way that engages the broadest possible audience.
- Use well-developed editing and writing skills and excellent news judgment to help identify the highest potential stories to pursue.
- Lead the teaching and execution of tools for building audience, including urgency, story choices, visuals, headlines, analytics, SEO and social media.
- Use metrics tools to help guide the direction of our journalism, as well as the ways we get it in front of readers.
- Supervise assigning editors and work closely with regional editors to ensure we’re collaborating effectively across McClatchy Carolinas newsrooms.
- Articulate and reinforce standards for ethics and professional conduct as well as journalistic excellence and fairness.
- Work collaboratively with divisions across the company to develop and evolve products and strategies that diversify our audience and revenue.
- Proactively identify and solve problems, innovate and adapt.
- Excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to see a story.
- Highly developed editing, reporting, writing and social media skills. Excellent news judgment and journalism ethics and a deep appreciation for our watchdog role.
- A strong understanding of audience engagement, ideally including:
- Fluency with analytics and how to apply them.
- Skill with digital headlines and an understanding of what content works well on different platforms.
- Good working knowledge of SEO practices.
- A proven record of driving readership through social media platforms.
- The ability to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues in managing change.
- The ability to lead, collaborate with and coach colleagues of varying experience levels.
- An interest in telling stories using a variety of formats and media, and an enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving and more outcome-oriented than task-oriented.
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure.
- Highly developed communication skills.