We’re launching an ambitious and impactful project in the Central Valley, and community engagement will be key to its success.
The Fresno Bee is searching for an engagement reporter to join a team of four that will focus on improving educational outcomes for local students.
Education is a key driver of economic mobility. Even as good work has been done in recent years to address it, the gap persists and in some instances grows. How do we change the trajectory and quicken the pace of advancement in educational outcomes? We will do so with your help.
As an Engagement Reporter, you will serve as a conduit between key stakeholders, parents, students, readers and our team of reporters. You’ll build new communications channels for important reporting, including a newsletter and in-person gatherings. You will be tied into which local efforts are working and will help us elevate them. You’ll understand what service providers challenges and opportunities are, and will make story suggestions to the reporting team. You will host quarterly webinars with readers and the project’s supporters. You will track and share policy and process changes brought about as a result of the team’s work.
This team has the potential to contribute to improved economic and quality of life outcomes in the Central Valley, and the Engagement Reporter will be key to its success.
This position reports to the Education Editor at the Fresno Bee. It is a two-year position, with potential to discuss future opportunities in Fresno and/or McClatchy.
- Responsible for creating engagement opportunities to promote discussion about important community issues online, in person and in storytelling formats.
- Responsible for representing The Fresno Bee in the community and at public events both that we host and that you attend.
- Bilingual, able to speak English and Spanish.
- Responsible for engaging diverse audiences on multiple digital platforms beyond The Fresno Bee’s branded accounts/spaces
- Responsible for using audience analytics to help identify topics of interest in the community and using the information to make content decisions.
- Solicits and manages commentary submissions from community members, public officials and contract writers.
- Continuously looking for ways to engage across platforms, from InstagramTV to TikTok.
- Seeks out opportunities to improve skills. Embraces new technology, systems and assignments. Considers feedback openly.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- At least one year of full-time experience in journalism.
- Advanced writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced knowledge of audience analytical tools and social media strategies to grow a fan base and grow and engage audiences.
- Organizational and planning skills that allow for successful multi-tasking in a deadline-driven environment.
- Advanced interviewing skills.
- Knowledge of journalistic principles of ethical conduct.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- At least 2 years of experience in a digital-first organization.