Investigative / Projects Reporter
This reporter will fulfill McClatchy’s mission as a defender of the values of the First Amendment and as an organization that holds leaders and institutions accountable and makes our communities better.
Must possess extraordinary storytelling skills; the ability to work alone and with a team to produce the highest quality journalism; and a deep understanding of the modern, digital news ecosystem as well as how to produce journalism that has an impact in it.
Key skills include the ability to find and tell exclusive, compelling stories that will have the greatest impact on our communities, to use data and documents to hold governments and institutions accountable, and to understand how to use a broad range of media in storytelling.
- The ability to ask the right questions to determine whether a story idea is worth pursuing and if so, how it should be framed to speak to the largest possible audience
- The ability to act as a proxy for our readers, asking the questions they want answered
- An understanding of metrics, and the ability to discuss what they mean
- Strong writing skills and excellent news judgment
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy (toward readers and staff) and a superior ear for tone
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving, and more outcome-oriented than task-oriented
- Unquestioned journalism ethics
Columbia - South Carolina state capital - is in the center of the state, with a two-hour drive from either the Atlantic coast or the Blue Ridge Mountains, and about halfway between New York City and Miami, with easy access to interstate highways. Not just the center of the state government, Columbia also is home to the main campus of the University of South Carolina and Fort Jackson, the country's largest U.S. Army training base.
The State is a part of McClatchy, a flexible, empowering and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life/balance and consistent opportunities for growth.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of post-offer drug and background screenings. We offer a competitive salary, along with a varied benefits package, including Medical, Dental, Vision coverage, Accident, Critical Care and Pet insurance as well as Life Insurance, 401(k) Savings Plan, vacation, sick leave and company holidays.