Data Fellow - Remote - US
McClatchy is looking for data fellows who can use programmatic skills to help acquire, analyze and visually represent data. We're looking for candidates who have experience with at least one programming language, such as R or Python, and are excited by the idea of working with data in non-traditional formats, coding tools to scrape and analyze data and/or building custom visualizations.
The fellow(s) would be expected to both develop original ideas for stories, tools or visualizations and work with reporters across McClatchy to help them tell stories with data that they otherwise wouldn't be able to tell.
- Fellows will be overseen by National Data Team Leader Ben Wieder and work in consultation with local newsroom leadership.
- The fellowship is scheduled to begin in June, with some flexibility.
- Fellows are paid $800 per week, for a total of 25 weeks. After that period, Fellows may be hired as regular, full-time employees, however full-time employment is not guaranteed. Applicants within one year of graduation are eligible.
- International students on OPT through June are eligible and will be given full consideration but must be on OPT for the full six-month duration of the fellowship term.
- Fellows will be eligible for health benefits (medical, dental & vision) on the first day of the month, following 60-days of full-time employment as a Data Fellow. There is no housing stipend and relocation expenses are not covered.